Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome,

I've bought from DCW for work and they've generally been pretty good, it does take them a while to order in pentax stuff though.
with eGlobal, DWI, Techrific (and any other grey importer I've forgotten), they generally offer some kind of warranty, BUT it is definitely not your normal australian warranty and the manual may not be in english (I've got a k5iis manual in japanese from eGlobal if anyone wants to swap ).

if you're new to DSLR's, the manual may be a sticking point as well as the warranty.

I agree with the K-50 and 18-135 as a good (weather resistant) starting point.

Have fun with your new purchase

01-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
dcxpert is independent of CR Kennedy but he does use CR Kennedy as his fulfilment agent which is why you get a CR Kennedy invoice with goods from dcxpert. I have used him a couple of times - no problems, and I also had no problem swapping a faulty item from dcxpert back through CR Kennedy during the warranty period.

In response to the OP, with goods over AUD1000 (inclusive of delivery costs) being supplied from overseas, be very careful about the tax position, otherwise you might find that yopu are hit with GST and customs duty on the goods arriving into Australia. If you choose to use DCW, first confirm with them the tax position.

Personally, starting out with a dslr for the first time, I'd be looking to a genuine Australian warranty. There's every chance that you will have no warranty claims, but you also don't want your first experience tarnished by a warranty saga should a fault occur.

The K-50 + 18-135 would be a great bit of kit to start out with.

I've bought three lenses from dcxpert over the last few months....HD DA 21, HD DA 40 and yesterday a FA 77...... all went well....delivery real quick and Aust stock..... 2 DAs shipped from CR Kenedy as mentioned...... can't wait to get the 77.

Welcome to the forum!
01-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KRaZiGLiTcH Quote
the one i am most interested in is the Pentax K-50 + 18-135mm, is there any tips or any information that will help me or would you's suggest another camera anything will help.
Or the K-60 if you can wait a month or so:
Pentax NEW CAMERA
Even if you don't want a 24Mp camera, the price of the K-50 should drop then.
01-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Even if you don't want a 24Mp camera, the price of the K-50 should drop then.
Other rumours suggest that the K-60 will have a 20Mp sensor (rather than the 24Mp sensor from the K-3). (It seems unlikely that Ricoh will just put another body refresh around the 16Mp sensor.) Either way, the release of the K-60 is likely to push the K-50 into clearance.

If you want to go ahead straight away, don't rule out the K-30 or the K-500 - either has most of the same features as the K-50 and will save you hundreds of dollars (to spend on lenses, a flash, a Gorilla pod, case, etc etc!!)

01-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Other rumours suggest that the K-60 will have a 20Mp sensor (rather than the 24Mp sensor from the K-3). (It seems unlikely that Ricoh will just put another body refresh around the 16Mp sensor.) Either way, the release of the K-60 is likely to push the K-50 into clearance.

If you want to go ahead straight away, don't rule out the K-30 or the K-500 - either has most of the same features as the K-50 and will save you hundreds of dollars (to spend on lenses, a flash, a Gorilla pod, case, etc etc!!)
Thanks for telling me about the K-60,Hopefully the K-50 becomes cheaper because if this also i'm not sure about the K-30 in australia i think it ost more and i heard things on the net something about the mirror in it or lens having a oil problem ?.
02-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 costs less than K-50 if you could still find a new one
I have k-30 and took tens of thousands of nice photos without any problems, great camera!
02-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
K-30 costs less than K-50 if you could still find a new one
I have k-30 and took tens of thousands of nice photos without any problems, great camera!
+1. Honestly haven't heard of any issues either.

The differences between the K-30 and K-50 were so minor that many wondered at the time why a new model after only 12 months. The K-50 supports Eye-Fi cards, has some improvements to video function, and has higher max ISO (which is practically useless anyway), and that seems to be about it (apart from cosmetic changes). For me the changes weren't worth the significant extra coin. That's a judgment you need to make for yourself.

There are still new K-30s sitting on shelves if you look around (even Ted's has them for $A500 with kit lens and Aust warranty) and in my view they are a bargain buy.
02-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks guys but whenever i look for the K-30 With the 18-135mm it cost like $100 or $200 more which is odd or i can't find it lol

02-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't go by list prices. If they want to move old stock they will surely do a deal.

Your price for K50 with 18-135 WR was about $1000, right?

Even if you bought the K-30 body and lens separately you could get:
- K30 body for $449: Buy Pentax K30 Digital SLR Camera (DSLR - Body) | Pentax K30 Price | CameraPro Australia
- 18-135 for $389: Pentax smc DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL IF DC WR Lenses (White Box) :: Pentax :: Lenses - eGlobaL Digital Cameras Online Store
Total: $838 (plus delivery)

Present a retailer (even a Main St retailer like Ted's) with those kinds of numbers (print out the pages and show them!) and you should surely get the package for $750-820, with Aust warranty, and walk out of the shop with it straight away. Maybe you could get them to throw in a 32Gb SD card too!

You could probably also negotiate an equivalent or better deal than $1000 on the K-50 + lens too, if they are looking to move them.

Good luck anyway.
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My first Pentax dslr I got from Croydon Camera House who bettered the best price that I had previously.
I don't know if he is still there, but I think I dealt with Nigel.
02-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice,Oh also how good does the K-50 take photos at night ? i have always wanted to take great shots of the stars or of other things at night thanks again.
02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking photos at night is one thing: either use a flash, or use ambient light with higher ISO and slower shutter speed (taking advantage of the camera's built-in shake reduction).

Taking photos of the night (ie the stars) is something else. For that you will need a tripod and long exposures. If you Google something like "how to take photos of the night sky" you will find lots of advice.
02-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #28

Original Poster
Taking photos at night is one thing: either use a flash, or use ambient light with higher ISO and slower shutter speed (taking advantage of the camera's built-in shake reduction).

Taking photos of the night (ie the stars) is something else. For that you will need a tripod and long exposures. If you Google something like "how to take photos of the night sky" you will find lots of advice.
Thanks heaps just wanted to make sure ^_^.

I will post more often when i get all the gear i need thanks so much everyone.