Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello All ^_^ from Australia

Hi everyone i am new here and from Australia but have been looking at the forum for ideas as i want to buy a pentax camera ^_^ the one i am most interested in is the Pentax K-50 + 18-135mm, is there any tips or any information that will help me or would you's suggest another camera anything will help.

PS: I have owned cameras but not DSLR cameras but that doesn't mean i want a beginner camera,I want an advanced one so i will learn from it.

thanks everyone

01-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi KraziGlitch,

Welcome to the Forum, plenty of Aussie's on this site. Would like to say something about the K50 , but never had anything to do with one. As my limited, advice is go with what you think you need and read up everything you can. Everyone has a different opinion and did someone say, that opinion are like buses one along every five minutes.

any how enjoy the ride.
01-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Good day mate and welcome to the forums

the K50 and 18-135 would be awesome to start with

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-30-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: add info.
01-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. I don't have a K-50 but I am seriously considering one. One of the larger online suppliers (Global) is offering the K-50 with 18-55 WR for AU$586 AUD and the 18-135 for AU$389. That is way less than anyone is offering the K-50 plus 18-135 kit. Hope you find what you want. The way the Aussie dollar is going those prices won't last long!

01-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, there are many Aussies here who will keep you right on where to get your new camera.
01-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

K-5 and 18-135 on market place, probably a good buy
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/249916-sal...-18-135wr.html
01-30-2014, 03:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
thank yous for the welcomes ^_^ i have found the K-50 with 18-135mm lens at the price of $1198 Brand new from digitalcamerawarehouse is there any other trusted stores that have this camera.

Ps:I want to buy a Brand new camera i don't mind buying used lenses in the future though.
01-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
G'day mate. This is my first post. Just joined after lurking for a long time.

I upgraded last year from K100D Super to K-30. It is almost the same camera as the K-50 - same sensor, weatherproofing, almost the same feature set. I love it. Main criticisms of both the K-30 and K-50 concern the video function. Doesn't bother me at all, but if you are looking at shooting much video might want to consider something else.

I bought my K-30 from DWI (where you have the price on K-50 + 18-135). Like Global they ship from HK and it takes a while. And remember to add shipping cost. Ricoh Aust say they won't honour warranties on these imports, so if you have a problem you would need to go back to the importer (if they are still around). If I were buying again I would look for Aust retailer for this reason.

You can get a K-30 for a bargain price from Aust retailers at present, eg:
Buy Pentax K30 Digital SLR Camera (DSLR - Body) | Pentax K30 Price | CameraPro Australia - $449 body only
Pentax K30 | Teds Cameras - Ted's Cameras - $499 with 18-55mm kit lens

New lenses are much cheaper when bundled with the camera.

If you are likely to shoot sports or wildlife consider the DA 55-300 as well. Excellent value lens - see recent comprehensive revew on this site.

For one-lens versatility and travel Pentax/Tamron or Sigma 18-250, or the (higher-priced) Pentax DA 18-270 is a great choice. (I have the Tamron and love it, despite the compromises involved.) The Pentaxes have the advantage of in-camera distortion correction. Otherwise shoot RAW and fix with DxO Optics Pro 9.

Good luck with your purchase.
Des

01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KRaZiGLiTcH Quote
thank yous for the welcomes ^_^ i have found the K-50 with 18-135mm lens at the price of $1198 Brand new from digitalcamerawarehouse is there any other trusted stores that have this camera.
DCW are good, and generally have very competitive pricing.

The other option, which I've noticed is often cheaper that DCW lately, is to buy from CR-Kennedy (who are Pentax Australia)
I've not bought from CRK before, but their service was great when I had my *istDS looked at for a damage quote. They even waived the quote fee for me since they weren't able to fix it.

Teds camera shops are good for little stuff, like lens caps and cleaning kits, but I've found them overpriced for pretty much everything else. Especially bodys.

Do post your thoughts on the K50 when you get one, it's on my list, along with an old stock K5.
Although by the time I've saved up the cash to buy one they'll be up to K90 or something :P (I spend way too much on film and cars)
01-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
The other option, which I've noticed is often cheaper that DCW lately, is to buy from CR-Kennedy (who are Pentax Australia)
I've not bought from CRK before, but their service was great when I had my *istDS looked at for a damage quote. They even waived the quote fee for me since they weren't able to fix it.
+1. CRK trade on eBay as DPExpert.
01-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
CRK trade on eBay as DPExpert.
Oops I mean dcxpert: dcxpert items - Get great deals on Pentax lenses, Digital SLR Backpacks items on eBay Stores! (Can't edit my post.)
01-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That I didn't know!

I was wondering where that ebay store was getting all this Aussie imported old line Sigma and Pentax gear, that explains it!
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I bought a flash from them and the invoice was from CRK.
01-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Digital Camera Warehouse are good to deal with (well, in my limited experience).
DWI and Global are importers of grey market stuff - they give a warranty, but it is not a Pentax warranty and that may mean something.

Welcome to the forum and stay in touch - even old fogies can learn something here.
01-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
dcxpert is independent of CR Kennedy but he does use CR Kennedy as his fulfilment agent which is why you get a CR Kennedy invoice with goods from dcxpert. I have used him a couple of times - no problems, and I also had no problem swapping a faulty item from dcxpert back through CR Kennedy during the warranty period.

In response to the OP, with goods over AUD1000 (inclusive of delivery costs) being supplied from overseas, be very careful about the tax position, otherwise you might find that yopu are hit with GST and customs duty on the goods arriving into Australia. If you choose to use DCW, first confirm with them the tax position.

Personally, starting out with a dslr for the first time, I'd be looking to a genuine Australian warranty. There's every chance that you will have no warranty claims, but you also don't want your first experience tarnished by a warranty saga should a fault occur.

The K-50 + 18-135 would be a great bit of kit to start out with.