Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

Howdy from the Tennessee underground!

Hello everyone, I've lurked these great forums for a while and figured I should ahead and get bona fide here. Mid-last year I got a K-01 with the 40mm XS lens and have since taken a few thousand pictures. I have been extremely pleased with them- images are sharp, the dynamic range has surpassed all other cameras I've tried so far, and it has held up just fine to the abuse. I worked my way up to the K-01 from a Panasonic/Leica p&s (fantastic), then a Canon G12 (great pics, but not rugged enough), and an Olympus 4/3 PEN (returned).

Most weekends find me out in the woods and caving. I take the K-01 wherever I go in an Otter Box, and I try to capture whatever interesting things I see. There is an incredible amount of beauty out there. With PF, I'm hoping to get more in tune with nature photography, see if any other cave photographers are out in Pentax land, and to learn more about these cameras/lenses and the community they support. Thanks for all the knowledge y'all have given me so far, and for the rest to come.

Here are some shots from the K-01 I have enjoyed:

Abby Harmon, Rocky River Cave, Warren County, TN

Drapery Closeup, Run to the Mill Cave, SCCi, Cumberland County, Tennessee

Cave Entrance, Marion County, Tennessee

Ebony Jewelwing, Calopteryx maculata, Blue Spring Cove, White County, Tennessee

Looking North in Late Summer, Loudon County, Tennessee

01-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! Welcome to the forum.
01-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Very nice!! Welcome!!!
01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very cool--there seem to be a number of us Pentaxians roaming the hills and hollers here in East Tennessee... (I'm here in Knoxville, but consider the GSMNP my "native habitat.") I'll definitely look forward to keeping up with your adventures in the karst zone.

01-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, the first couple of images are pretty amazing, keep up the good work.
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for the warm welcome, y'all. I'm hoping to get a secondhand wide angle sometime soon, perhaps off the classifieds here. I'll be putting in a very positive review of the 40mm, but I need to broaden my horizons with some new glass.
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nashville born here, I love these photographs. The cave photos are great, especially that first one! And the landscape is wonderful. I did a stint at UTK too. Welcome to the Forum, and please post more photographs! You can find wide angles here, too. I have a 21mm LTD (nice with the K-01) and then an SMC 28 and A version.
David