Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Hello from Oregon!

Hello everybody,

I'm Brandon, and from Oregon!

I've been interested in photography for quite a long time, since about the age of 10 when my aunt gave me her old Canon Digital Rebel. Since then, I've sort of grown up using Canon products, mainly the 60D until about three years ago when I ended up selling all my photo equipment for other hobbies; however, about 6 months ago, I'm getting back into photography. After finding an old broken Pentax MG, along with some old prime Pentax lenses in my dad's closet, I thought it would be a great place to start!

I began researching different Pentax cameras and decided on the White Pentax k-30 mainly for the great value it has. My kit began with a seized SMC 50mm f2 (sand in the focus threads, but I fixed it), a Sears 300mm lens, and a Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 that I got with my k-30.

I recently found a Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X Macro for 27$ at a half-off sale at a local thrift shop, and it is flawless! I know people who've spent a lot more on this lens, and I'm definitely lucky for having found it. It takes great photos up close, and great portraits! I'm now looking for a good inexpensive 400mm f5.6 lens to add to my kit, and can't wait to use it as there is so much wildlife around where I live (birds, bears, elk, deer, squirrels, and just about everything else)!

Anyways, I'm glad I chose Pentax as a brand to get into, since there is so much quality for a great value!

01-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
My brother lives in Portland, it's beautiful up in the mountains out there.

Keep an eye on Craigslist - there seems to be lots of Pentax in the PNW.
01-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy that Stormtrooper K-30.
01-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Augustinaris Quote
Hello everybody,

I've been interested in photography for quite a long time, since about the age of 10 when my aunt gave me her old Canon Digital Rebel. Since then, I've sort of grown up using Canon products, mainly the 60D until about three years ago when I ended up selling all my photo equipment for other hobbies; however, about 6 months ago, I'm getting back into photography. After finding an old broken Pentax MG, along with some old prime Pentax lenses in my dad's closet, I thought it would be a great place to start!

I began researching different Pentax cameras and decided on the White Pentax k-30 mainly for the great value it has. My kit began with a seized SMC 50mm f2 (sand in the focus threads, but I fixed it), a Sears 300mm lens, and a Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 that I got with my k-30.

I recently found a Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X Macro for 27$ at a half-off sale at a local thrift shop, and it is flawless! I know people who've spent a lot more on this lens, and I'm definitely lucky for having found it. It takes great photos up close, and great portraits! I'm now looking for a good inexpensive 400mm f5.6 lens to add to my kit, and can't wait to use it as there is so much wildlife around where I live (birds, bears, elk, deer, squirrels, and just about everything else)!

Anyways, I'm glad I chose Pentax as a brand to get into, since there is so much quality for a great value!
Welcome and best wishes on future lens acquisitions. Personally I am not familiar with Sears lenses. Who made them?

01-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Augustinaris Quote
Hello everybody,

I live in Portland and work around in the valley and Gorge. I frequent thrift shops but haven't found any bargains. I know where there is a Tokina 400mm for $160 if you want to send a personal message. Banskojoe
01-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!
01-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome!

01-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Welcome!
02-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
I live in Portland and work around in the valley and Gorge. I frequent thrift shops but haven't found any bargains. I know where there is a Tokina 400mm for $160 if you want to send a personal message. Banskojoe
BRANDON

I just checked on-line and the Tokina 400mm is still there. I've seen it out and the glass is beautiful.

See the K mount inventory at: bluemooncamera.com
02-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
BRANDON

I just checked on-line and the Tokina 400mm is still there. I've seen it out and the glass is beautiful.

See the K mount inventory at: bluemooncamera.com
I've actually made an offer for one of the same lens on ebay, and it was accepted, but thanks anyways! I now know a place to look for equipment!