Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Newbie saying Hello to you and to Photography!!

Hello!

My name is Madeleine. I live in Costa Rica and I love to study languages, yoga and photography. I am new at this hobby/profession (photography) and I want to make friends who love photo as I am loving it and who can help me with their critics, advice and knowledge.

On august 2013 I received a Pentax K01 as my birthday present. I been taking photos my entire life, but I have never consider myself a photographer, I loved to take photos of my friends, family, animals, street, nature, events, well ... Everything... Recently, I decided to study photography and I am very exited about this because everything is new and challenging, but it seems that I will need a new camera, well that is what I think. So far Pentax K01 is the best camera that I have ever had; however, this camera does not have a view finder, and I think it will not work in my courses. One of my professors told me that he has no problem if I use this camera during his courses, but he does not know if other professors will accept it. The camera is really great, I love the quality of the photos, it is very easy to use and it facilitates your learning process, There are many lenses that are compatible with this camera, macro and zoom lenses (sorry I still do not have a good vocabulary on photography terms), the camera by itself does not have a macro option nor zoom. I wish the professors accept this camera to work in their courses. Another advantage (in my case because I have the yellow one) is that people do not get scared of the photo, since my camera is yellow it attracts people instead of repelling them, so it helps to capture the moment naturally and spontaneous. It is more difficult to take photos on the street and in public with a different camera.

Since I know little about photography, I started to study and investigate more. I watched documentaries, tutorials, read books, watched videos and among others... in order to learn how to use the camera and be able to take advantage of its features. On a course that I watched over the internet, the presenter said that most of the photos should be taken 16 mpx, so in case that you want to present a portfolio, and I don't know if this is truly necessary in my case?

Later, I will share some of the photos that I took with this camera because I do not know how to use this forum, at least not yet, so I need to learn.

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.

Hugs,

Madeleine

PS: Any comment, advice, critic and even a hello are more than welcome.

02-01-2014, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome Madeline!
I hope you enjoy learning more about photography. There are plenty of resources on here to help you learn. I look forward to seeing some of your photos!
02-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome Madeline
hope to see some good shoots in the future.
02-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to our little corner of the web!

02-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums, Madelaine. The K-01 is a great camera. I love mine. I hope your professors accept it because the K-01 can do anything that a camera with an optical view finder can do. Post some pics soon!
02-01-2014, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Keep Shooting!

Hello Madeleine, welcome to the Forum!
Well, you're on the right track, regardless of what the instructor says! Keep shooting with your camera, maybe find a few (older, used) lenses and follow your own vision. I think it's great that you're studying and researching, but you'll find skeptics everywhere. "Can't do this" "Shouldn't try that' "Never do this".
Listen to them and we'll be back in the stone age!
Follow your passion and don't look back.
If you decide later that you want or need a viewfinder, Pentax makes great DSLR's in all price ranges. The K-mount lenses will work on all. But for now, use the equipment you have and post some photos!
Ron
02-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The viewfinder makes composition much easier in bright light, but many, many people use cameras without viewfinders. Personally, I think the choice should be yours, as long as your photos and post processing meet the course guidelines. You will probably find that composition is much easier with a tripod. If your budget is very limited, look for a Gorillapod or similar that you can use. They run about $35 and you can use them to compose without the arms' length wobblies.
02-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome! The K-01 is a fine camera and it allows all the manual controls that SLR cameras do. The only drawback is that its not as fast (AF and burst mode are relatively slow). But I personally don't find that to be a problem!
Head on over to the K-01 forum and join in
Oh and btw, there is a firmware update available for the K-01 which will significantly improve the AF speed. Its a nice little update.

02-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that's a great intro, well there's plenty to see, read and learn here, I'm sure you will find something of interest to you.
02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for your words!! I am happy to see all your advises and good wishes.
02-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hello Again!

I just post a photo here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/64115-madecita/albums/7881-self-p...-know-thyself/

I will upload more soon. I appreciate your critics and comments.

Regards,

Madeleine.
02-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome - your fist picture was very nicely done....
02-25-2014, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Madeleine ... hope to see more images soon ... Salut, J