Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New kid on the block...

Hello everyone,
I'm Joan, started off about 4 years ago with a pentax k5 and upgraded early 2012 to the K30. I love photography, don't believe I'm that good but I'm one of those people who annoy the family as I take a lot of photos, but every now and again I get a little gem that I like, however, on the whole they are just your average shot. I really like post processing some of my images in HDR, HDR really interests me, some of the pictures I've seen on the web are amazing. I'm pretty crap at composition but every now and again I think I nail one or two and I think this is what keeps me interested. I have the standard WR kit lenses with the K30 and I recently (Nov 2013) bought my first manual prime lens at 1.4 it seems brilliant for bokeh and low light shots, but I'm hoping to get some nice landscape shots this spring, it was pretty hard remembering to focus the damn thing and many shots came back blurred, but I guess as I get through this spring I'll start remember more often. I hate the cold and very rarely go out to take pictures unless the white fluffy stuff has fallen. I have two holidays booked this year Turkey in May (been before incredible place) and India next February, first time and so very excited for the photography opportunity. I would like some advice about India if anyone has been..... will I suffice with only the prime and 55mm & 135mm kit lenses?
Bestest Regards Joan Flickr: joanjbberry's Photostream

02-01-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to our corner of the web!

If most of your photography is in good lighting for your trip, your zooms should be fine. You can use your manual focus prime in lower light situations, just takes more patience. :-D
02-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, good that you could join us!
02-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Joan, welcome to the Forum!
I also believe you'll do fine with the kit zooms and a fast prime (is that a 50mm?) for low light. You can still dial up the ISO if needed, and use the zooms for most situations. If you plan on taking a lot of scenics, you might consider a lightweight travel tripod, too. Plus, spare battery and charger, spare SD cards, rocket blower and a polarizer.
I looked at your photo site, most of the shots are well-exposed, sharp focus and it's clear what the intent of the photo is. But, it seems like you're over-shooting each subject, getting 5 good shots when one great photo is all that's needed.
Remember, with a still photograph, you're stopping time. Not collecting it. Now, you can TAKE as many clicks as needed, but just pick one or two (of each subject) that tells the story.
Since you have time before the trips, I'd suggest starting here; 10 rules of photo composition (and why they work) | Digital Camera World
Then look up 'Rule Of Thirds" and study as much good photography, related to each trip, as you can. Try to figure out what lens setting (focal length and aperture) was used. Study the composition, framing, lines and structure of photos you like.
In addition to trying these "rules" (suggestions, really) out for new photos, also see if you have any file shots that can be cropped and processed using the compositional ideas you'll find on the link.
There's lots of settings and gear adjustments I could possibly recommend, but for now these suggestions on composition, subject placement, lines, balance and framing may help.
Good Luck!
Ron

02-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by joanjbberry Quote
I nail one or two and I think this is what keeps me interested
If it were easy it wouldn't have the same appeal.

QuoteOriginally posted by joanjbberry Quote
first manual prime lens at 1.4
manual lenses hopefully will be provide you with a lot of pleasure, but then I'm a tad bias.
02-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
New Kid on the Block.

Thanks you all for your comments and suggestions. Ron your advise is great, you are so right with the over shooting!! will definitely give the 'Rules' a try too. Thanks again.
02-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-135 is a great travel lens, I've taken it all over. The best advice I have is to have a secure camera bag which doesn't really look like a camera bag, a sling strap for the camera, don't carry too much stuff and have fun.

02-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

Original Poster

Thanks, I'm glad these kit lenses are going to do thejob. I suspect I just need to get my composition better, but I do have a bit oftime so, will practice, practice, practice and the secure camera bag is verygood advice thank you. I did actually think of this last year when I went toTurkey, having never been before I wasn't sure what to expect walking aroundwith a camera, so I bought one of those protected stretch skins and I popped itin what looked like a beach bag, I already had a padded lens case which on theinside lid has a little pocket for spare SD cards and the padded beach bag hada pocket on the inside for the spare batteries. The stretched skins are reallygood, they give good protect and quick access

Joan