Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A hello and a question about PP

Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this forum for a long time and have now finally joined. I have already found it a great source of info and generally troll-free! This is my first new thread.

I upgraded last year from K100D Super to K-30. (Great camera.) I am now shooting largely RAW + jpg (RAW is in DNG format in the K-30). I am trying to work out the most efficient way to process my RAW images. I know this is a minority view, but I actually like Silkypix, which came with the camera (unlike the clunky program that came with my K100D Super, which put me off using PEFs). Recently I also got DxO Optics Pro 9, following recommendations in these forums. It has modules for my K-30 with Tamron 18-250mm (the lens I use most at present) and for other lenses I am looking at. I find DxO excellent for correcting lens distortions (like barrel, pincushion and vignetting), but I prefer Silkypix for adjusting exposure, contrast, sharpness etc.

So what I have been doing is using DxO first, with their standard preset (correcting for lens issues), exporting to DNG (generates a very large file), then working on that in Silkypix, then developing to jpg, then cropping as required with IrfanView lossless. I like to crop at the end because often I can get different effects from different crops of the same photo.

Results are good, but it is very time consuming.

Any suggestions for a better way (without buying Lightroom or something else) - eg better use of DxO?

02-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I am just now learning to use DNG & RAW myself, I can't really answer your question. It does sound like a multitude of steps though. Hopefully, someone with PP experience will have a suggestion we can both learn from!
02-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
You will find that post processing is a time consuming task. I use only Lightroom, as the catalog and developer. I know I could get better results if I used more specialized software(s) and plugins, but I decided against it. To save hard drive space and my time.
My workflow is basically to delete the failed shots, then batch process and finally make selections, deleting poor photos. Then I take the time to dig deeper only with the photos I deem have the most potential. I only export them as jpeg if I need that, for example to share online or whatnot.
02-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good day mate and welcome to the forum

02-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome!
You will find that post processing is a time consuming task. I use only Lightroom, as the catalog and developer. I know I could get better results if I used more specialized software(s) and plugins, but I decided against it. To save hard drive space and my time.
My workflow is basically to delete the failed shots, then batch process and finally make selections, deleting poor photos. Then I take the time to dig deeper only with the photos I deem have the most potential. I only export them as jpeg if I need that, for example to share online or whatnot.
I have spent some hours today processing just one batch of photos, so I will have to follow your tip and be more discriminating!

As you suggest, I suspect the answer lies in mastering one program - in my case probably DxO. But I do find Silkypix easy to use in adjusting the key variables.

Thanks for the tip.
02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Good day mate and welcome to the forum
You're greeting the new Aussies, mate? Thanks, and yes I would like a beer.
02-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Since I am just now learning to use DNG & RAW myself, I can't really answer your question. It does sound like a multitude of steps though. Hopefully, someone with PP experience will have a suggestion we can both learn from!
Thanks for the Southern welcome!
02-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You're greeting the new Aussies, mate? Thanks, and yes I would like a beer.
no worries, welcome aboard

02-02-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum.

I know this is a minority view, but I actually like Silkypix
Hey, there's no wrong or right here, it's whatever works for you and gives you what you need back from it.

without buying Lightroom or something else
I'll just keep quiet then, being the Lightroom and Photoshop man that I am.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-02-2014 at 06:11 AM.
02-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

I think Silkypix handles the colours very well, but I do most of my processing in Lightroom. I have a basic set of presets that are applied when photos are imported, saves a lot of time. I use Silkypix or some other editing software only when I can't get what I want from Lightroom.
02-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of people like the way Silkypix deals with photos (each software interprets the raw data in its own way), but I found it complicated to use - compared to Lightroom, at least. This is why I chose Lightroom.
If you can make Silkypix work for you, that's great! I'm sure you will get great results.
Lots of people also like DXO, especially for its lens profiles. Certainly a good choice. Another one people like is Corel's AfterShot Pro.
Then you also have FastStone, a free program that is well-liked. I think there are some threads about post processing software. There are many to choose from and each has its pros and cons. And you can also use other addons and plugins and helper software (for example, to stitch panoramas, for focus stacking, for advanced noise reduction).
Best is to not get overwhelmed by it all. Start out with one thing and only look for addons and alternatives once the chosen software fails to deliver what you want