Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hi! I'm Shannon

With February's prize giveaway I figured I'd finally get around to introducing myself. I bought my K200D in 2009. Since then I've slowly added lenses to my photography kit. I have my 18-55mm kit lens, as well as a 70-300mm, and a 10-20mm. I'm currently saving up to purchase a 100mm macro lens.

I find that while I understand the settings on my camera I'm constantly adjusting my aperture and ISO to get the shot I envision. If anyone has any tricks or reminders they find helpful please feel free to share!

It's nice to meet everyone!

02-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome!
02-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you've got to grips using the camera manually, enjoy.
02-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I think you'll have a hard time finding a bad 100mm macro lens. I'd recommend going for a manual focus one and save yourself some money. Auto focus isn't very useful for macros anyway.

No tricks to share, I'm afraid. Practice makes perfect, though, and with experience comes perfect exposure

02-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

Welcome! My only tip is to shoot more! Only when shooting will you actually learn more things by yourself! Also, checking out forums usually help, and search for information if you don't understand anything!
02-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum Shannon!
02-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYoung Quote
I find that while I understand the settings on my camera I'm constantly adjusting my aperture and ISO to get the shot I envision. If anyone has any tricks or reminders they find helpful please feel free to share!
Hello Shannon, Welcome to the Forum!
My system may not be too much different than yours, but it's quick and easy enough for me.
In Av (aperture priority) mode, I set the lens f/stop (rear thumb wheel) for a decent 'sweet spot', the range where most lenses provide the sharpest image and least distortion. This is generally considered 1-1/12 to 2 stops 'down' (lower f/stop) from the maximum aperture. Then I press the shutter 1/2 way to see what type of shutter speed this provides, using base or lowest ISO, usually ISO 100.
So, with a lens having a maximum aperture of f/2.8, I'd scroll (R. thumb wheel) to f/4.5 or f/5.6. If this provides a shutter speed about twice the focal length (1/200s for a 100mm, as an example), I'll click off a test frame and check the histogram and data. From there I might bracket 1/3 over and under.
With any lens, I stay above 1/100s, unless I'm using a tripod.
If you need a certain depth of field, the 'sweet spot' might not provide enough, or too much. Bokeh/shallow DOF, subject isolation, blurred out backgrounds would be likely suspects for opening up the aperture, whereas maximum DOF or longer exposure time would need smaller (higher number, like f/16) apertures.
If I find I'm changing ISO too much, I'll switch to TAv (Time/aperture value, you set the aperture and shutter speed manually, using front and rear thumb wheels, meter selects a 'floating' ISO to provide proper exposure), then dial in a good shutter speed and f/stop.
I find either of these to be as useful, fast, reliable and easy as any program and much faster than full manual.
Then again, I work slowly and bracket a lot!
JMO,
Ron

02-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Welcome!