Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron has the idea here. I would not discount the older lenses. My M 100/4 macro only goes to 1:2 native, but that means it fills the frame with something that is only 48 x 32 mm. I also have a 50mm extension tube (no glass, just moves the lens out further) that moves it to the range of 1:2 through 1:1. I like the 100mm focal length because I shoot bugs a lot and I'm further away. For taking shots of rocks, a shorter macro might be even better. The depth of field (how much is in focus, near to far) is greater as the focal length decreases.

02-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

rbefly gave you some great advice for macros. You can also look at a macro focusing rail if you want to do some interesting stacking work.
Image stacking will yeild some astonishing results if you search on Flickr etc.

You've got a good handle on what you want your kit to do - that's important. I have an FA100mm f2.8 macro which is great in the field, getting insect images. For your fixed macro needs, you don't need autofocus, if you use the rail you absolutely don't need it.