Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Hi from Cambridge, Mass

Greetings.

I have been "taking pictures" with Pentax bodies since 1967, when I got a great old Spotmatic, which got stolen from my luggage in 1998, and got replaced immediately by a K1000. To my embarrassment and heavy work load (I am an anthropologist who often travels "too much"), I did not approach digital photography until some friends informed me that I can now take hundreds of pictures, see them instantly, and manipulate them in infinite manners. That’s nice! For economic reasons (and concerns about lens, dust, etc.) I purchased a Canon Power shot S3, but grew really frustrated at my inability to accurately “see” what the camera and lens did. So I sold just sold my old K1000 body and got a K10d, which I am experimenting with. I will probably save $1,000 and keep my old manual focus Series 1 28-105 mm lens. However, I will be keeping an eye out for a long lens zoom and a nice prime lens. Any suggestions? For the prime I am leaning toward the Pentax 50mm f 1.4. Any comments?

Thanks,

Ted Macdonald

04-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm a new user to the forum myself and new to the SLR although my dad has a K1000. I bought a K10D just under a month ago and I love it! I have a couple of old lenses myself thanks to my father that doesn't use the K1000 anymore.
Unfortunately I have no suggestions for a new lens but there's a "Pentax Lens Review Database" here which I found quite interesting. Look it up and you might find something you might like.
Hope you enjoy the forum!
04-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has no shortage of nice prime lenses as I'm sure you'll discover. People here can help you better if you specify your budget and what you'd like to shoot.

As for a long zoom, the Sigma 70-300 APO macro f/4-5.6 seems a favourite: inexpensive, fairly light, good resolution and low distortion. I've never used it but there are many posts here in its favour. Pronounced CA seems the main drawback.
04-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
welcome aboard from the other side of the state