Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Old lenses led me to Pentax

Hi, I'm Mike from Melbourne, Australia, (originally from Somerset, UK). This is my first post here.

Like some others, it was a fascination with old manual focus lenses that brought me to Pentax. My first camera, bought in 1980, was an Olympus OM1 and I learned the basics on that. Then, when I got busy with wife and kids, I put photography aside as a serious hobby, telling myself it was too expensive and time-consuming. Family photos were mostly taken with small point-and-shoot cameras that could fit in a jacket pocket. When digital came along I got myself a Nikon Coolpix 880 (which still works) which produced surpsingly (to me) good images but I was always frustrated by the autofocus and slow speed compared to my OM1.

Fast forward to early 2013 when I bought myself a Nikon V1, the camera that brought me back to my early love of photography. I loved the speed, accuracy and image quality of this little gem. The discovery that I could also use it with old manual focus lenses led to a major case of LBA. (My Jupiter 8 and collapsable Industar 50 are a particularly good combination with the V1). However as I fell more in love with these old lenses I began to thirst for a camera that could do them justice. My research led me to pick up a Pentax K200D on ebay, and I have to say that I am a convert to the Pentax way. I love the image quality from this sensor at low ISO. I love the fact that it has shake reduction built in to the camera body. I love that I get automatic exposure and focus peaking with old manual lenses. I have ordered a split screen focusing screen to help me focus faster and more accurately. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Last weekend I took my K200D with a M42 adapter out to a local festival. I was using a newly aquired Steinheil Quinar VL (135mm F2.8) and a Mir 24M (35mm F2). Here are a couple of shots:

You can see more on my Flickr stream: Flickr: buberfan's Photostream

I look forward to contributing more on these forums.

Last edited by buberfan; 02-05-2014 at 03:01 AM.
02-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Old Body, Legacy Lenses?

Hello Mike, welcome to the Forum!
That K200D is a great older camera, it has the same 10Mp CCD sensor as the K10D, my favorite 'backup' and manual-focus body. I love the way it renders colors, textures and tonal range; Almost film-like, more than any C-MOS (later) sensor, especially with legacy lenses. I also have a custom focusing screen and really appreciate (and, need!) the help focusing.
Fine work on the photos, hope to see more!
Ron
02-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Mike and welcome to Pentax and the Pentax family. You have started of well with these shots. I look forward to seeing more from you
02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great story and fantastic photographs with some nice glass. Welcome!

02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome

Wow! What an amazingly friendly forum.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm not used to getting such a quick response. You can be sure that I will be frequenting this forum and posting regularly.
02-05-2014, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Hey, welcome here! And thanks for the intro with some beautiful pictures! You really know how to handle those nice old lenses

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, your gonna fit right in here, I see that mistress LBA already has her claws into you already.