Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

Hi From Hassocks,West Sussex

Hi everyone.
Just joined today.
I had a K20d which I regret selling and am now awaiting delivery of a K-30 from Carmarthen Cameras.
I have kept a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Tamron SP 500mm 55BB mirror lens and am looking to add a long zoom when funds permit. Any recommendations most welcome.

Cheers

02-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
There's a Tammy mirror the same model as yours available on Craigslist here - I know I can get it for a song. How easy was it to use on that K20?

You're going to really like that K30, I think. Pentax has continued to refine their designs.

My sister lives near Kent, I hope to get back for a visit in the next year or two.

Long zoom - it's hard to beat the DA55-300 for the price. Also the 18-135 is a great walkaround lens, but probably not better IQ than that Tamron. It's weather-sealed, though, which counts for a lot. Both of those are available on the used market, too.
02-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, make sure you enjoy that K-30 when she arrives.
02-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard!
There's a Tammy mirror the same model as yours available on Craigslist here - I know I can get it for a song. How easy was it to use on that K20?

You're going to really like that K30, I think. Pentax has continued to refine their designs.

My sister lives near Kent, I hope to get back for a visit in the next year or two.

Long zoom - it's hard to beat the DA55-300 for the price. Also the 18-135 is a great walkaround lens, but probably not better IQ than that Tamron. It's weather-sealed, though, which counts for a lot. Both of those are available on the used market, too.
Hi TER-OR

Thanks for the info on zooms.

The Tamron 500 mirror worked just fine on the K20d. It took a lot of practice to get some good results. The view through the camera is pretty dark making focusing a bit tricky. Easier on a bright sunny day.

02-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! The K-30 is quite a leap from the K20d, I'm sure you will like it.

And as TER-OR says, the 55-300 is a very nice lens for the price. I like that it's small and compact (for a tele lens), has a very usable zoom range, and still gives good image quality.

Enjoy!