Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Hello from the other side of the world

Or the same, depends on where you are, to me it 'the other side'.

I am Isabella and I am 20 years old, I have been traveling since August 2012 and not keen to go home yet. I am originally from the Netherlands but I don't think that is where I'll end up although I'm not thinking too far from home, maybe France? Anyhow, the interesting stuff. When I was 14 I started out with a Pentax K100d and have since upgraded to the Pentax K5. My lenses are (an analog 24mm f/2.8 (don't shoot me if I'm wrong on the aperture) and an analog 50mm f/1.8, but these are currently at home) the Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4 and the Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 (I also carry and old (one of my first lenses, 6 years old and still works perfectly fine) Pentax 50-200mm F/4-5.6 with me, just so I've got the option of using tele, but I never use it).

Unfortunately I have problems with the autofocus of my 16-50mm, that's how I ended up here. I already send Pentax Australia an e-mail because I assume this will be within warranty and hope I won't get too much trouble fixing it, but in the meantime I'm here looking for more info on the issue.

If you're a curious human being, photos (and also posts about my travels) are to be found on my blog | A photographer exploring the world. and I've also got a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/isabellaprinsphotographer/ and flickr Flickr: Isabella Prins' Photostream

02-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Isabella and welcome to the Forums
02-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The SDM on my 50-135 failed, and with that focal range I just couldn't countenance keeping it. If the AF on my 16-50 fails, in that focal range, I would keep it as a manual focus lens. The odds of needing fast AF between 16 and 50 mm is small. It focuses quite well, although I do have a grainier focus screen installed to help the image to snap into focus better.
02-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Isabella, welcome to the forum and hope you get the lens fixed in a timely manner.

02-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome. Pentax Australia were very quick in repairing my 50-135 SDM, it took them only about 1 week. Maybe I was just lucky but I was impressed!
02-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for welcoming me, highly appreciated ^^

That's good news twitch! They haven't answered my e-mail yet but I'll give them till Tuesday before I give them a ring

Canada_rockies, considering the lens was bought (new) at the end of November 2013 I'd like to get it fixed because I find this ridiculous. I do agree with you though about this lens being usable (or should be, with some practice) as a manual so if I can't get it fixed within warranty I will use it as such until I've got enough money on my hands to get it fixed.
02-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome!

02-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome, Mss Prins

Nice work on your flickr site, very emotive and evocative. Wish you well in your travels and I hope you enjoyed your visit to Australia. Indonesia is some wonderful country especially Sumatra not that you can see it all, so many islands.
02-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard from icy Chicago!
02-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IsabellaPrins Quote
Thank you all for welcoming me, highly appreciated ^^

That's good news twitch! They haven't answered my e-mail yet but I'll give them till Tuesday before I give them a ring

Canada_rockies, considering the lens was bought (new) at the end of November 2013 I'd like to get it fixed because I find this ridiculous. I do agree with you though about this lens being usable (or should be, with some practice) as a manual so if I can't get it fixed within warranty I will use it as such until I've got enough money on my hands to get it fixed.
It must still be under warranty, then. Get it fixed or replaced is your best option. Thanks for the note.
02-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum Isabella.
If your 16-50 is still covered by warranty, you should be able to get it fixed.
My 50-135 SDM also failed recently, and I disabled the SDM so it is now screw drive focus - very happy with the performance.
Will do the same with 16-50 if it fails (which it most likely will).
02-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IsabellaPrins Quote
depends on where you are, to me it 'the other side'
Welcome to the forum, you most certainly on the other side to me here in Scotland, I have also left a reply for you on your self portraits project thread.
02-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all!

VladM, I read about that, the outcome sounds most definitely very interesting, though I'm not sure if I'm game enough to alter my lens myself haha.
Scotland is a beautiful place, it is high on my list of places to visit, lucky man!

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 09:49 AM ----------

Oh and gmans (I still can't edit my posts haha), I'm actually going back in a few days, for work mainly. I'm saving asia/Indondesia until I've got some more money on my hands
02-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Oh and gmans (I still can't edit my posts haha), I'm actually going back in a few days, for work mainly. I'm saving asia/Indondesia until I've got some more money on my hands
Hi IsbellaPrins

Are you heading back to Holland or Australia? Work and lack of money always interfere with travel. Look forward to more of your Photography.
02-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Hi IsbellaPrins

Are you heading back to Holland or Australia? Work and lack of money always interfere with travel. Look forward to more of your Photography.
It seems so haha I'm going back to Australia, off to Tasmania to educate young horses for a few months, expect lots of beautiful scenery and hopefully some easy to photograph coworkers that are willing to model for me. That's good to hear, thank you!