Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #1

Greetings to the Pentax Forums Community

I'm a long time Pentax user starting with the venerable Spotmatic. It never seemed necessary to have more than the 50mm SMC Takamur 50mm 1.4 lens. Only when I was watching a lioness near a waterhole in Africa did I discover the need for more reach. Then I wandered to the Nikon and Canon worlds. Most recently I've had extensive experience with the fabulous GXR with it's 50mm Macro module and the fabulous GR. In fact, these are perfect companions for concerts, being absolutely silent.

I am in awe of the Pentax cameras coming to market, the K3 and the 645D especially.

I hope to participate and learn more of how you are using these marvelous cameras!

Thanks for having me!

Asher

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 12:59 AM ----------

So what brought me here?

Well I have a website devoted to the image, more than particular cameras and now there's much interest in the K-3 camera and also the Pentax 645D original camera, a marvelous instrument. Now we've really gotten interested in the potential for Pentax rising to the top again in providing the 50MP sony CMOS sensor in a reasonably priced package. While we know that Phase One and Hasselblad's versions will be $38,000 to $40,000, Pentax 645D II must be less expensive by far. My guess is that it would be several thousand more than the original 645D. That would mean a price of about $9,000-12,000.

Now the Hasselblad and Phase One names carry a great brand recognition and sense of security for Professional Photographers. But given the expected more reasonable Pentax prices, I'd wager pros might be persuaded by the fact that they can get a spare body as backup and still have $12,000 in the bank!

Anyway, here's the point I'm most interested in. It's possible and even likely that Ricoh's multi zone WB is going to be in this new camera too as in all the Ricoh Pentax new cameras. This technology is very sophisticated providing a learned approach to analysis of images. All non-rainy images are analyzed to zones of different lighting and WB is optimized for each. The areas are then grown so that the zones blend. This works for JPGS straight out of the camera.

Now has any body here had experience with the RAW files and confirmed that the Silkypix version provided by Ricoh Pentax can indeed make use of the algorithms leveraged in the production of in camera jogs?

If this capability is used in the new 645D then this camera will not only be able to work in low light, but also to deal with flash indoors our outside and give better color with DNG files too. If this is the case, then the Pentax 645D could be a very powerful tool with unexpected advantages over even the more "solid" premier brand names!

Can only one provide experience of processing the new Multi-Pattern WB from DNG files and can confirm that it works as with out of camera jogs?

Thanks,

Asher

02-07-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the extensive introduction! Have a great time and please post some photos
02-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
ausmoose,

Another guy from downunder! They seem to breed talent down there! I am embarrassed to admit to only owning Ricoh and Canon digital cameras. So can one post images taken with the Ricoh GXR or the GR? Or do I have to wait for the new 645DII, LOL?

Asher
02-07-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asher Kelman Quote
ausmoose,

Another guy from downunder! They seem to breed talent down there! I am embarrassed to admit to only owning Ricoh and Canon digital cameras. So can one post images taken with the Ricoh GXR or the GR? Or do I have to wait for the new 645DII, LOL?

Asher

I think Ricoh should be good enough

02-07-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome!
02-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the Ricoh qualifies

Welcome , and thanks for the nice introduction! Can't help you on the WB bit as I don't have a K-3. But I agree that a lot of good is coming from Ricoh/Pentax these days
02-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Aye, is should be interesting to see how that new Pentax 645D2014 with the 50MP Sony CMOS sensor, shapes up.