Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Back in Black (with a K-3)

Hey everyone!

For a little more than a week now, I am a real part of the Pentax famlily again.

I learned my way around a camera with my old man's Spotmatic while I was still a child. He bought that thing during a business trip in the late 1960's and it was already a rather old piece of hardware when I started playing with it at about 8 or 9 years of age.

Although I loved that camera (and still do so today), over time it became quite an exotic tool. The flash we once had died of old age long ago and I had no chance of finding a replacement. I wanted something less exotic, a camera where it would be easier to find parts and accessories. At the time, a Canon EOS5 looked really good to me. I bought it in 1998 (IIRC), shortly before the EOS3 was launched. I had a lot of fun with it, but it didn't live to long because someone (I never found out who) probably played with the camera and broke the mode dial. During the time I had this camera, didn't buy much glass. From time to time I could borrow the EOS 300D from a friend. That was ok, but the results just never thrilled me.

I've always wanted a new DSLR and so last month, when I had the money I needed, I got myself a K-3. Because of the years I spent with that Spotmatic, I always had a soft spot for Pentax, but that did not make up my mind for me. Indeed, it only let me look a little closer at what Pentax had to offer. Because I didn't have a big collection of glass to consider, it wasn't too important to me what brand name would be on my new camera.

The biggest collection of photos I shot is certainly of sports - mainly dancing. I've also done a lot of travel photography (I shot over 30 films during a two week trip through Siberia). I love portraits and shooting people in general. One thing I want to try out in the near future is macro. That is something I haven't done at all yet (although I had everything I needed for that with my Spotmatic) but it's definitely something I find absolutely fascinating.

I like doing a lot of things manually. I have three meters from Gossen (Lunasix 3s, Lunasix F and a Multisix). Whenever I have the time, I prefer to use these over the internal light metering inside the camera. Please feel free to call me a geek or a nerd.

I come from Germany and my first name is Christian. That is a name in Germany (a quite common one actually) and has nothing the do with the meaning that word has in English. I guess you'll get to know more about me from my posts.

Cheers!
Chris [Pix]

02-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Christian! Welcome aboard and thanks for waving that shiny new K3 in our faces!

Christian isn't an unknown name in the US or UK, but it's not as common as Christopher.

You'll find plenty of fellow camera geeks here, that's for sure. You're going to love playing with the old lenses on the new camera. Check out the Catch in Focus (CIF) feature, something very useful for vintage lens aficionados. I think you'll need an M42 adapter to use those spotmatic lenses, correct? The old lenses seem to provide better color depth, but it could be metering...
02-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the intro! I too have fond memories of the Spotmatic. In fact a received one in the mail today (mostly in order to get the Takumar 50/1.4 mounted on it, though).

I'm sure you will enjoy the K-3 - that is one of the best cameras out there right now, no matter what you compare with. I still enjoy my "old" K-5 and have no plans to retire it - it's just too good for that.

Hope you'll show your face around on the boards here! Good to have you with us
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PixelGeek Quote
I guess you'll get to know more about me from my posts
Welcome to the forum, from your comments it sounds like to me you gonna fit right in.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-07-2014 at 03:20 PM.
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the for, from your comments it sounds like to me you gonna fit right in.
Have you started on the barley juice?!

Oh well, it's readable. Just
02-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh well, it's readable. Just
Come on it was only missing an um, corrected now.
02-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Come on it was only missing an um, corrected now.
Sure, sure, but is it any good?
02-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

barley juice
Wot the juice? aye not bad as it happens, it's one of Taliskers new ones, Port Ruighe, a single malt finished in Port Casks.

02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Wot the juice? aye not bad as it happens, it's one of Taliskers new ones, Port Ruighe, a single malt finished in Port Casks.
Hmm... Might have to take a look in the cellar... Think I have a Quarter Cask finished Laphroaig somewhere. Should make for a good sleep
02-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Quarter Cask finished Laphroaig
That's another personal favourite of mine too, its how Laphroaig would have been in the old days.
02-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Don't take the advice given by savoche and kerrowdown. Cameras are not meant to fall down with. Besides, I like Glenfiddich.
02-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Welcome to the forum. Don't take the advice given by savoche and kerrowdown. Cameras are not meant to fall down with. Besides, I like Glenfiddich.
Hey, should I fall with a camera, what better camera to fall with than a Pentax??

And Glenfiddich is OK, but I prefer more character
02-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all for your warm welcome! Currently my K-3 is giving me some grief, but I hope to resolve that pretty soon.

It's funny that you guys are actually talking about Whisky, because I like the stuff too. My three open bottles currently are:
  • Highland Park 18y
  • Aberlour 16y Double Cask
  • Ardbeg Ten
Cheers!
Chris
02-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Oh, hope you get your K-3 sorted out!

QuoteOriginally posted by PixelGeek Quote
My three open bottles currently are:
  • Highland Park 18y
  • Aberlour 16y Double Cask
  • Ardbeg Ten
Will you stop that?! I'm drooling.
02-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

If you like a good bourbon try some Eagle Rare - don't let the low price fool you...