Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Greetings from MN - need advice on camera/lenses

Have a ME Super which I haven't used in about 10 years when I switched to a point and shoot. Want to make the move to a DSLR. Debating between and K50 & K5 II or IIs. Prefer to save money for more lenses and accessoriesthan move up to a K3. I mostly likedoing outdoor photography -landscape/scenic shots and close ups of flowers/bugs. Still have my Tokina 50 200 mmlens with a 2X converter. Looking for anice macro lens. Are the kit lensesworthwhile? Should I be considering adifferent camera body?

02-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although a bit more $$$, I would go for the K3. Lenses will come along as they may, but starting with the best camera body you can is a big help. From there, use your current lenses and for macro, a nice Tamron Adaptall 90mm with a K mount can be had for a decent price. Extreme macro does not do well with autofocus, so manual focus is actually quicker and more accurate.

Look for older A lenses (they work great, just no auto focus). Build as you go, upgrade as you can!

Good luck!
02-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The comparison between K5IIs and K3 is one you'll have to make - for macro these are your best two options. I have a K5 with FA100 macro and like the autofocus option when I'm chasing bees around...but will also switch to manual if the situation allows.

Kit lenses for Pentax are better than most, and the WR version is a nice bonus. The 18-135 is a better lens, though, if you can stretch the budget you'll like the very fast motorized focus.
02-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, have a look at the cameras section here on the forum, that may help you with your choices.

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

02-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For those applications a K10d (which I never used) or a K20d which I do use, would do nicely and cost about $150-250.