Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Hey Hey from PA

Hi everyone my name is Tyler and I am brand new to the Pentax world and relatively new to DSLR photography. About 5 mins ago I bought a K-50 and some small accessories. I'm very excited to get the camera in my hands and start learning. I've found a local camera shop to order prints through, the guy there seems pretty awesome, so I am excited to take some classes there and use them for the million questions I will have along the way.

I am always into forum boards to help answer questions with my hobbies as well. I use to be active on several car forums, am still active on a golf forum, and would occasionally be on some gun forums as well...but anyway, if anyone has suggestions on forum links, websites, books, and/or videos for me to check out as a beginner it would be much appreciated.

I'll be sticking with the 18-55 kit lens for now and using GIMP for all of my post processing. If anyone has any suggestions for other free or cheap software that will work in place of or along side GIMP, please let me know.

Sorry for the longwinded intro

Thanks!
Tyler

02-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Pentax forums Tyler! Boy you are new, getting the K50 just 5 minutes ago and already posting!
It's been quite a few years since I was new, so I may not be the best at knowing how to get started now a days, but there are many forum categories on this board right here to help with just about all areas of photography and post processing. If you happen to get afflicted with LBA (Lens buying addiction) the lens review sections here as well as Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page for all things Pentax related are good places to start. Welcome aboard.

Steve
02-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
I was definitely an "equipment ho" over on the golf forum golfwrx.com so I am sure it is bound to happen here as well...I just don't know any better yet haha. However, my wife says I was more of an "equipment pimp"...I guess because of how quickly I was selling whatever I bought.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Tyler and welcome to the Forums and the Pentax Family

02-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome Tyler and please post some photos! that's got to be the shortest time before someone's bought their first camera and posted on the forums...
02-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the intro! Sticking to the 18-55 for a while is very sensible. If you after a while find that there are situations where the lens is limiting in some way then might be the time to look into other lenses. If not, then don't waste your money.

Posting pictures here at the forum is actually a great way of learning. Forum members will be able to help with tips and comments and learning will be done

Enjoy!
02-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tws1098 Quote
About 5 mins ago I bought a K-50
Welcome, wow that must rank as one of the fastest sign ups after ownership ever.

02-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome from Lancaster County. What part of Pa are you from?
02-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, wow that must rank as one of the fastest sign ups after ownership ever.
haha yeah yeah, I was snooping around for a while when I decided I really wanted to go Pentax so as soon as I bought I was registering

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Welcome from Lancaster County. What part of Pa are you from?
York County, so not far at all. How long have you been shooting?
02-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
My K-50 came in today, already updated firmware and took a few test shots of the pup. I am excited to get it out in the snow tomorrow and start playing around. I would assume I will need to mess with lowering the exposure and adjusting white balance with the snow tomorrow?
02-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My K-50 came in today, already updated firmware and took a few test shots of the pup. I am excited to get it out in the snow tomorrow and start playing around. I would assume I will need to mess with lowering the exposure and adjusting white balance with the snow tomorrow?
Likely need to increase exposure comp to ensure you get white instead of grey snow.
02-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
as soon as I bought I was registering
Thought you were mega keen.
02-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tyler,

I would consider adding a prime lens to the 18-55. That's the fun of Pentax, so many good primes available, new and especially used. Getting a manual prime or two is a cheap way of making sure you learn photography the proper way.

Regarding GIMP, if you don't have this bookmarked, you probably should: http://courses.linuxchix.org/mod/resource/index.php?id=17

I used GIMP a bit, and still do depending on what I want to do... but now I mostly use Corel Aftershot Pro... and it's very beginner-friendly I think, at least to a beginner like me 36 bucks on Amazon, but sometimes it's even cheaper.

Oh, and welcome!
02-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
I purchased and downloaded Aftershot Pro as suggested but it does not seem to play well with .dng files...

Any suggestions?