Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #1

hello from Perth

greetings from perth, apparently i can't do much until i've had a few posts! i have a pentax Super A and am looking to purchase a lens. the range is quite limited here in Perth though, hopefully the marketplace here will be helpful.

i am looking in particular for wide angle lens for some landscape photography.

02-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and hello from over here in Adelaide.

Have a look in the lens database area of this forum - there are lots of user reviews on wide angle lenses - old, new, primes, zooms, Pentax and third party.

Landscape doesn't always need a very wide angle - it's a common belief but many scenes benefit from somewhat closer framing. Otherwise everything in the distance runs the risk of being small and inconsequential. I find I use low 20mm's range on my 17-50 zoom quite a bit and I know a number of people who really value the DA21.

This was 28mm for example (a 1980-era M series 28mm F3.5 to be precise).

But having said that, big sky vistas with interesting clouds can really benefit from using wider focal lengths. It's the sky rather than the objects on the land itself that tends to be the primary subject in such cases.

Example at 11mm (Pentax DA10-17 fisheye zoom that I bought a week ago and just learning how to use). Taken a couple of nights ago at the end of yet another 40+ degree day.

A lens that renders colours well is something you should definitely put in your selection criteria for a landscape lens.

And those who make large landscape prints will value consistent sharpness across the entire lens. Most reasonable lenses will be fairly even at F8 but if you value really sharp corners, some lenses will be knocked out of consideration. Going beyond F8, diffraction will typically start to reduce overall sharpness, so stopping down further and further is self defeating after a point. Really really wide lens struggle in the corners - it's a side effect of optical compromises in such lenses.

Last edited by southlander; 02-13-2014 at 07:00 AM.
02-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by en13 Quote
here in Perth
Welcome to the forum, that'll be the other Perth then, not my one.
02-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the tips guys! i am headed to some regional places and would love to have more choice than what i have now, it's very basic- i have a 35-80mm, f4. you both sound like you know what you're talking about, would you recommend anything in particular? i will be shooting in very bright areas, portraits and landscape. looking forward to some tips!

02-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome from Perth,
I still have my Super A but I haven't used it probably in last 20 years.
can you still get film developed in Perth?
02-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
absolutely i_trax, friendlies chemist in subiaco does it, so do a couple others.... i haven't done it myself but i have a roll of old film i found that i'll send in next week!

Where to Buy / Develop Film in Australia
02-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma 24mm superwides are well-regarded, too. It's not super-wide on a crop sensor but on film it should be very nice.
You can also find some old film-era fisheye lenses fairly inexpensively if you keep your eyes open.
02-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I wrote my post thinking about focal lengths in terms of digital APS-C cameras. Then I read the opening post again and saw you are using a Super A. That does change my earlier response. Multiply everything I said by 1.5!

As you need full frame coverage and an aperture ring, all the DA stuff is out and you are really forced into the secondhand market other than the FA31 which is not cheap. The FA 20-35 F4 zoom could be quite interesting and can be found occasionally on the 'net. I bought one a few months back and use it on a dslr so it is really 34-55ish in its effective field of view on a dlsr. It could be a great option on film where you get its original intended field of view. I like the way it renders and is pretty sharp for a zoom once stopped down a little. The M28/3.5 I mentioned could be a good cheap option and is typically USD70-80 on the 'net. There is also an M28/2.8 which is more common.

Best tip if bright - always use a good hood. Best tip even if not bright - always use a good hood. Stray light on a lens is a real contrast killer. A polarising filter can also really help with glare and unwanted reflections.

Portraits really need longer focal lengths to preserve the the correct perspective of faces. 85mm is a classic portrait length for film. Small group shots you can go wider, the classic nifty 50's would be fine.

Last edited by southlander; 02-13-2014 at 07:22 AM.
02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

For wide angle, I just purchased a Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5. It seems to be well regarded, and cheap. I'm looking forward to using it on my ZX-M camera (the lens is still on its way...)

But as people said here, there's lots of good options for 24mm and 28mm especially, that aren't very expensive and yield great results!

Cheers!
02-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hi from the other side of the country.

For wide angle on film I normally use either the FA 20-35mm or the F 28mm,
but of course I only keep autofocus lenses in a vain attempt to stop buying them all

both are great lenses if you can find them (or you can usually find the earlier versions of the 28mm around)

Be sure to post some photos when you can

Bruce
02-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good day mate and welcome to the forum
02-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
gosh i can't believe how friendly everyone is here. i don't think i'll be putting photos up anytime soon, i'm barely understanding all the f stops and exposures and how they all relate to each other! just bought a couple of rolls of films so will take it as i go but at the same time am looking for some equipment (without going over the top cos i don't wanna be one of those people with amazing equipment but doesn't actually know the mechanics behind it!). i'm currently looking at 17-28mm for wide angle. and then looking to get something for walk around, i have the stock 35-80 (i think) that's pretty embarrassing but i need something reasonably priced but good.

i found the sigma 15-30 at a really really amazing price but it's so MASSIVE so i'm thinking of going for the pentax 17-28mm fisheye instead... anyone has any thoughts on that?

and then just a walk about lens instead of my grubby little 35-80mm one that isn't very sharp at all.. any suggestions would be welcome. i don't want to go into zoom lens quite yet. it looks like the sigma 28-200mm F3.5 has a good review (but just one on this site)... i'm having lots of fun just reading what everyone's experiences are, there's a wealth of knowledge here!