Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #1

Kia Ora from New Zealand

Hi all from beautiful New Zealand - land of hobbits and all things green!

Just introducing myself as the 'newest' member to the Pentax Forums, having just bought my first Pentax DLSR - a K100D in an online auction site here in NZ! And I'm psyched!

Have never used a Pentax digital (briefly used a Pentax 645 once upon a time), although I've certainly used almost everything but.

Was looking around for a 'cheapy' DSLR since I was 'between' cameras, and to be honest Pentax wasn't even in the picture (excuse the pun).

But then I came across an auction for a good condition K100D, did a bit of research about it, and thought 'that'll do me'.

Am looking forward to having a good play with it, with a view to building up a more 'pro' spec'd kit in the future.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the near future - especially to do with legacy lenses - and will enjoy having a good look around the site.

Anyway, just wanted to say 'hi' for the time being, and i look forward to maybe talking with some of you more in-depth later.

Cheers

Wayne

02-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nzdigital Quote
Hi all from beautiful New Zealand - land of hobbits and all things green!

Just introducing myself as the 'newest' member to the Pentax Forums, having just bought my first Pentax DLSR - a K100D in an online auction site here in NZ! And I'm psyched!

Have never used a Pentax digital (briefly used a Pentax 645 once upon a time), although I've certainly used almost everything but.

Was looking around for a 'cheapy' DSLR since I was 'between' cameras, and to be honest Pentax wasn't even in the picture (excuse the pun).

But then I came across an auction for a good condition K100D, did a bit of research about it, and thought 'that'll do me'.

Am looking forward to having a good play with it, with a view to building up a more 'pro' spec'd kit in the future.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the near future - especially to do with legacy lenses - and will enjoy having a good look around the site.

Anyway, just wanted to say 'hi' for the time being, and i look forward to maybe talking with some of you more in-depth later.

Cheers

Wayne
Hi Wayne

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you're have lots of fun with your K100D. Feel free to head over to the thread where most of the NZ members hang out, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-photo-trips-groups/41021-ki...xians-445.html

Kind regards,
Mark
02-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kia ora - My first entry into digital was the K100D... Took many many great snaps with that thing! Welcome!
02-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kia Ora, hey bro. welcome from the other side of the ditch. you done good with a Pentax and post some pics when you get a chance.

02-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by nzdigital Quote
land of hobbits and all things green
Welcome to the forum and you forgot the mention the 60 odd million sheep you have there too.
03-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello from Christchurch

Just joined this fairly recently and so welcome to you. This site is a great resource for all things Pentax and photo related. Has helped me no end in getting my head around things. Enjoy the camera and the site. Teuchter Kerrydown gets excited when there's a country with more sheep than the one he inhabits!
03-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thegadge Quote
Kerrydown gets excited when there's a country with more sheep than the one he inhabits!
Nice one!

And nzdigital, welcome to the forum.

And here's a fresh new baby sheep, right on the outskirt of Hobbiton Can't get more NZ'er than this...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-10-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by thegadge Quote
Kerrowdown gets excited when there's a country with more sheep than the one he inhabits
Over here in the UK it's England that are the biggest sheep fanciers, as of April 2012, there were almost 36 million, we don't have that many up here in Scotland.

03-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks fgaudet... wondered how long it would be before someone posted a sheep pic

I'm enjoying looking around the forums, and I've even posted a question that I got several great replies to.

I've been busy Pentax-wise ober the last week as well. I've sent the K100D back to the seller (dodgy lens), and replaced it with two K10D's instead! I know the K10D is 'old', but so am I

Will take some shots, head over to the K10D Club, and maybe even post a few images?

Thanks for all the friendly 'welcomes' so far. I think I'm going to enjoy my Pentax experience.
03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard Wayne and congrats on picking up those K10D's. Very nice camera that renders flesh tones particularly well. Shoot in RAW and you can't go wrong
What part of NZ do you hail from?
Chris
03-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
HYS

Welcome Wayne! Personally I like Pentax since the nice Spotmatic F. Digitals are great fun. Yes, shoot in RAW, that is good advice.
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Welcome aboard Wayne and congrats on picking up those K10D's. Very nice camera that renders flesh tones particularly well. Shoot in RAW and you can't go wrong
What part of NZ do you hail from?
Chris
Hi Chris

I'm on the West Coast of the South Island - in Greymouth.

And yes, will definitely shoot RAW. In fact I'm quite excited about shooting natively in DNG. Good on Pentax for supporting the format.
03-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #13
HYS

And don't hesitate to use PEF format. It's good too.
After-processing I start with Silkypix. And than may be with something else.
03-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi Wayne,

welcome and hope to see you in the Kiwi Pentaxians" thread soon.

My "K100D Tips and Tricks" would have been ideal for your K100D, but many of the tips also apply to the K10D.

Regarding the PEF files: On the K100D they were not compressed at all so it paid tons of dividends to convert them to DNG (Adobe has a free DNG converter; I use Lightroom). The compression is lossless so you don't lose any IQ, you only save tons of disk space. IIRC, the K10D does not compress PEF files either, so you've got some big savings potential.
03-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #15

Welcome nzdigital.