Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Washington State

Hey there -- name is Eric. Like a couple of other intro posts, most of my Google searches brought me to your forum, so I didn't think it would hurt to join, instead of just lurk about.

I love taking pictures of just about everything (especially flowers, leaves, stuff like that), and was getting tired of all the blurry shots my phone and Sony P&S were giving me, so I decided it was time to make the transition to a better camera. Read a ton of reviews on all of the newer entry-level DSLR models, super zooms, etc -- ton of information to take in, for sure. My best friend has been a Pentax shooter for decades, and he was kind enough to loan me his backup K10D (with a few lenses) -- and told me that all the reading is fine, but you need to get out and shoot. Whether it's relevant or not, I appreciate things that are "sturdy" and feel well-made, and after getting my hands on a few of the other brands entry-level models, I found myself liking the build quality of his K10D (and his K5) a LOT.

I discovered pretty quickly that brick and mortar camera shops are all but non-existent in my area, but there was one that I found, and fortunately for me, they had a nice Pentax lineup. I went with a white/black K50 -- and am really enjoying it so far. I don't know enough about what I'm doing yet to make any kind of call on whether or not the two kit lenses are any good (WR 18/55 and a 50/200), but they seem decent to me + I picked up a smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL -- and I'm liking that one a bunch. Like a lot of new folks, I find myself resisting the urge to snatch up another lens or two...but we'll see how long that lasts.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read. Looking forward to learning a lot here

02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Welcome!

Hi Eric,
I just joined the forum myself, and I'm waiting for my used K-5 to arrive in the mail. I am really excited, and envy you for being out there with your camera! I am in the Seattle area. What part of WA are you in?
Maurice
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
told me that all the reading is fine, but you need to get out and shoot
Welcome aboard, that's damned fine advice, enjoy your photography.
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MauriceW Quote
Hi Eric,
I just joined the forum myself, and I'm waiting for my used K-5 to arrive in the mail. I am really excited, and envy you for being out there with your camera! I am in the Seattle area. What part of WA are you in?
Maurice
Hey man I work in Seattle, but live in the Sumner/Puyallup area, and originally from Tacoma.

02-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Hey man I work in Seattle, but live in the Sumner/Puyallup area, and originally from Tacoma.
Hello,
I was wondering what camera shop you went to? The one on my neighborhood doesn't carry Pentax. It would be nice to know of some place where you can see the items in person.
02-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MauriceW Quote
Hello,
I was wondering what camera shop you went to? The one on my neighborhood doesn't carry Pentax. It would be nice to know of some place where you can see the items in person.
Robi's, in Lakewood. Across from Safeway, just off Gravelly Lake Dr.
02-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the information!