Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #16

If you really want to start with a film camera, forgo the chunky, clunky K-1000 and look for a Pentax MX.
The MX is a jewel of a camera with both shutter and aperture displayed in its much better/brighter veiwfinder. The MX is all mechanic except for the meter which uses easy to find A-76/S-76/LR44 batteries. Meter display is five colored LED's Red. yellow and green. The MX has a depth of field preview lever , hot shoe and PC flash contacts. Winders and a rare 5PS motor are also available.

I ran tens of thousands of frames through two MX bodies as a small town newspaper photographer in the early 1990's. The rigors of outdoor sports in foul weather finally did both of them in, but not until well over 100,000 frames or more each.

02-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the chunkiness of K bodies! Plus the needle exposure display is much better IMO than the LED readouts. Even with small hands, I sometimes find the MX a little too small.
02-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I still have my k-1000 from the mid 70's . It still sees use tho not as much as it use to Being fully manual makes for some great fun in that it tends to slow me down and think more.While learning I would suggest a note pad to log the camera settings for each shot . That way you can have an idea of what settings worked in what situations and what didn't. I think it is time to put a roll in and head out.
Welcome to the Forums and enjoy your adventure
02-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

K1000 has cut the teeth of many a beginner. All opinions otherwise aside (and there will be many, most valid) the K1000 is a well built tank of a beautifully simple photographic tool. Yes, it is missing many more modern functions, but you could throw it down a flight of stairs and chances are it would still take photos just as good as the rest. And, for my part, when you're starting out, less is certainly more.

Also, WELCOME!