Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #1

k1000 slr for an old beginner

hi everyone, fell in love doing genealogy ( family black and whites ). i been recommended to learn on a k1000. i'm after one, and the best place to go.

monsy33

02-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monsy33 Quote
hi everyone, fell in love doing genealogy ( family black and whites )
Hi, welcome monsy, me too, do you mean black and white images?

i been recommended to learn on a k1000
You might just as well get a K-500 and use it in M mode until you master the basics and get used to it all, then you can start learning and use other features...
02-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Hi, welcome monsy, me too, do you mean black and white images?

You might just as well get a K-500 and use it in M mode until you master the basics and get used to it all, then you can start learning and use other features...
thanks for the tip bit i want to start with film i retired and got a lot of time

monsy33
02-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You should be able to get good working K1000 cameras...try Ebay, or local online sites. If you have a place nearby that develop film, it's fine, if not, it might become a hassle...

EDIT: The nice thing of learning with digital in manual mode, which is the same as using an old SLR, is the immediate results, you can see in a second what you do right or wrong, no waiting for the film to be developed...

02-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have a K1000 and it is indeed very suitable for black and white, because the basic functions narrows your focus to make proper exposure.
02-20-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
I have a K1000 and it is indeed very suitable for black and white, because the basic functions narrows your focus to make proper exposure.
Another plus for digital, you can do B+W in camera or edit it afterwards from colour to B+W
02-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
I have been given some old developing equipment in good order. take the photos, digital scan the negatives and then develop the good ones, sounds crazy occurring to my better half.

monsy33

02-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have been given some old developing equipment in good order. take the photos, digital scan the negatives and then develop the good ones, sounds crazy occurring to my better half.

monsy33
Tell her I agree
02-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's wrong with doign B&W on film first? You'll learn more a lot quicker doing that. The K1000 is a solid film camera, but it's lacking a few features that you may want down the road. I recommend finding a KM or KX of the same vintage.

Also, I highly recommend going used for digital if you do.... K-Xs are awesome begineer cameras and can be had for about $250. If you do decide to sell it, it'll lose much less value than if you decide to get something brand new.
02-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you pick up a K1000 off Craigslist or Ebay, you might eventually need to have the light seals or mirror bumper replaced. Eric is a retired Pentax tech and does a superb job.

Eric's Homepage

There is a very long forum thread singing Eric's praises.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ndrickson.html

Tim
02-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's nothing wrong with film development hobby at home, the equipment's dirt cheap now. I've seen nice enlarger setups for next to nothing (and some priced way too high).

Craigslist is your friend here, people are selling K1000 and other film camera equipment for next to nothing. If you put a "want to buy" ad here in the Marketplace I think you'll find some generous individuals willing to get you started.

Looking through the K1000 viewfinder is a joy, it's that old simple interface and big, bright field of view. My Dad had an old Minolta I cut my teeth on, and he had a simple darkroom setup, which barely fit two people in an old cold closet in the basement. Wow, I haven't thought about that setup in AGES...
02-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, you may also want to learn and explore some PP software, as you can do wonderful things restoring and enhancing older images.
02-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

hi everyone, fell in love doing genealogy ( family black and whites ). i been recommended to learn on a k1000. i'm after one, and the best place to go.

monsy33
There's a nice K1000 on the marketplace here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/251502-sal...4-0-5-6-a.html

If you run a search you'll find a few other listings as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
What's wrong with doign B&W on film first? You'll learn more a lot quicker doing that. The K1000 is a solid film camera, but it's lacking a few features that you may want down the road. I recommend finding a KM or KX of the same vintage.

Also, I highly recommend going used for digital if you do.... K-Xs are awesome begineer cameras and can be had for about $250. If you do decide to sell it, it'll lose much less value than if you decide to get something brand new.
I agree with fretlessdavis about buying used when/if you choose to go digital. I would say you can go even further back in time along the Pentax line of DSLRs. The *ist series of bodies are also great. They may only be 6MP but they produces excellent quality images that can still fill modern high resolution monitors. The response times are slower than modern cameras so I would say that the *ist bodies are better suited to slower, more deliberate and thought out shots.

Another thing to note about the *ist bodies is that I would say that the used prices have pretty much bottomed out. What you see is what will be for a long time now. It may fall a little lower but I think inflation will kick in and keep the prices where they are at now. Some of the newer DSLRs will probably become cheaper on the used market in the future.
02-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I agree with fretlessdavis about buying used when/if you choose to go digital. I would say you can go even further back in time along the Pentax line of DSLRs. The *ist series of bodies are also great. They may only be 6MP but they produces excellent quality images that can still fill modern high resolution monitors. The response times are slower than modern cameras so I would say that the *ist bodies are better suited to slower, more deliberate and thought out shots.

Another thing to note about the *ist bodies is that I would say that the used prices have pretty much bottomed out. What you see is what will be for a long time now. It may fall a little lower but I think inflation will kick in and keep the prices where they are at now. Some of the newer DSLRs will probably become cheaper on the used market in the future.
K100d or K10d is you have unsteady hands. The colors of the K100d with its CCD still hold up fantastically at this age. All my best digital shots were done on my K100d. It was supposed to be my backup camera, but ended up being my main one for Spring-Fall 2013.

Prints hold up perfectly to an 8x10 (larger if you don't shove your nose into them).

Used a K100d goes for about $125, a K10d for about $175.

The *ist series was excellent, too, and are around $100. No SR is a big hit comparing to a K100d, but the option of using the old TTL flash is awesome (makes auto flash work very cheap in easy in comparison to P-TTL)