Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Penns Woods!

I've owned Pentax cameras for twenty-nine years now, including a 13 year stretch where I used several Pentax's as a local newspaper photojournalist. Haven't done much SLR photography for the past five years. Decided to get back into things. Joining this forum seems like a good place to start!

02-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any question you ask here will result in a large number of sometimes conflicting answers. Pick the one that gives you the most help. Welcome. Post some photos for us.
02-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome! This forum is definitely a good place to start. As @Canada_Rockies says, people here are generally very eager to help. Which means you'll usually find an answer you like!
02-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I've owned Pentax cameras for twenty-nine years now, including a 13 year stretch where I used several Pentax's as a local newspaper photojournalist
Welcome aboard, good to have you here and with your experience we can now bat all the difficult questions your way.

02-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, good to have you here and with your experience we can now bat all the difficult questions your way.
Learned to use an SLR with my dad's ancient Spotmatic and Super Takumar 50mm F1.4. My first SLR was actually a Sears KSX (Ricoh KR-10) which is kind of ironic now that Ricoh owns Pentax. Moved on to an ME-Super and a MX. Then two Super Programs and two MX;s- Burned up the pair of MX's using 5FPS motors shooting sports over a five year period. Bought a used LX and motor for sports. The Super Programs survived until I bought my first of three PZ-1p's in 1995. The PZ-1ps were fabulous cameras for flash photography with their off the film metering, and advanced fill and bracketing, not to mention the 1/250th of a second flash sync speed. I'm just glad Pentax sold the 4 year extended warranty for the PZ's as the high speed shutter wasn't all that durable. All three of my PZ bodies eventually had shutter failures and were rebuilt under warranty. The the newest, purchased in 2000 had its shutter fail less than 100 rolls of film into its life. The mirror mechanism later failed in that camera.

I moved to digital with a *istD and found it to be a good overall camera with occasional battery issues. Only used that camera professionally for a year before taking a job in sales. Later I purchased a used K10D and some DA lenses. Still have both those cameras.