Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #1

Hi all and a question on the 645NII viewfinder

Hi everyone,

I am making my first foray into MF, via a 645NII I found on eBay. A question about that first, if I may, and then the intro below:

The thing is, having bought the 645NII - it is winging its way to me from Japan - I have realised that the viewfinder eyecup on this one is very different to the standard eyecup. Have a look and hopefully you'll see what I mean:
Name:  645NII.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  30.9 KB

I always wear spectacles, and am happy with the D600 square eyecup, but am now wondering whether anything will ever be in focus when using the Pentax...! Is anyone familiar with this part? Is it easy to replace it with a standard eyecup? Is it better than the standard part for a spectacular photographer? Am I lucky or to be derided for poor research?

More about me: My usual sidekick is a Nikon D600, with an old-school but wonderful Nikkor 50mm f/1.2, so this is quite a departure. I shoot wildlife (ahem), landscape and architecture mainly as b/w. I use a 300mm zoom for wildlife though, as the 50mm always disappoints.

I suppose, like everyone around here, I am trying to say something new in the photographs that I make; to do more than just contribute to the "rain of sewage" that photography has become in the modern world, according to Grayson Perry (in his BBC Reith Lecture on the subject of art: search for "photography" but do also read the whole thing as I think he is terrific, funny and often spot-on)

I have also just bought the 75mm f/2.8 (leaf shutter) and five rolls of Kodak TriX 400, so if this doesn't turn me into Ansel Adams nothing will.

Many thanks,

Ian.

02-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
ibl

Original Poster
I have answered my own question, to an extent. I found the 645NII manual online at "Manual Owl" so now I understand that this is the larger of the two standard eyecups that was included with new cameras. If anyone has experience of using both or ditched one for the other, please say so. At least if I can't see a thing the helpful beep for in-focus will come in handy.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 07:49 AM ----------

And then - finally removing any doubt that I can read and search the forum - I found this thread Very helpful!

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 08:20 AM ----------

And....in what must surely be my last entry on this subject! - I found the O-EC107 eyecup for sale. Not for $45 as can be seen on eBay, but 10 on Ricoh's European website. A tenner - including VAT and delivery! I never had such a bargain.
02-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ibl Quote
five rolls of Kodak TriX 400, so if this doesn't turn me into Ansel Adams nothing will
Welcome aboard and good luck with character changing...
02-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good to have you with us! I have a 645n and both the standard eyecup and the one shown in your photo. I hate the big flat one, wasted my money on that! Do check on the Nikon eyepiece noted in the thread you cite. And watch for the 35mm WA, a truly killer optic, and the 120mm Macro, also excellent. BTW, it is very easy to convert a 220 insert to120 film. At least in the past the 220 holders were much cheaper. This describes the process PENTAX 645 Film magazine for 220 film reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database but perhaps too briefly. Somewhere there's a much fuller discussion here on Pentaxforums.

Above all, enjoy!

03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
ibl

Original Poster
Well this is just terrible! After an inordinate wait for UK customs to allow the camera through (one day to get here from Japan, then 10 days languishing at border control - British efficiency at its best!) I have my new toy and it is perfect in every way EXCEPT that the drive mode selector does not work. It will not move beyond single shot, and any attempt to turn it results in a vaguely "gritty" feeling (my teeth, as well as the switch!) I can't live without mirror lockup, so back it must go and I shall have a devil of a job recovering the VAT from HMRC.

Whilst waiting for the camera I scored a Agfa Rondinax 60, developer, fixer, eyecup, lens hood to add to my stock of Kodak TriX 400 and 75mm f2.8 LS as well as all the other bits needed to have a good time. I am bereft, destitute, cast adrift and other depressive synonyms.
03-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
ibl

Original Poster
It is a shame that, having joined this forum and made a donation, a moderator has taken exception to a perfectly honest and straightforward comment. Yes, "Blue", I did read the entire thread before commenting on "Ken Rockwell is wrong". Perhaps that makes me even more idiotic in your eyes, but no matter, you may continue without me.
03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, ibl ... hope to see some 645NII images soon ... Salut, J