Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

I love my Pentax K-X, but

I currently have the Pentax K-X and I love it. It's my first DSLR and I have shot many pictures with it this year. I have taken a photography class from a local professional and I am ready to upgrade my camera. I primarily am shooting my children's sports, but I would like to do stills too. Any suggestions on upgrading? My teacher used Canon cameras.

02-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Honestly, I've shot sports, wildlife, portraits, and pretty much everything else with the K-x, and it does it all as well as you could expect a camera to do. The only reason to upgrade is if your camera is falling short in some area. If you really have the upgrade bug, I'd get a nice used K-5 is you're on a budget, or a K-3 if you have more money.
02-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Do you already have excellent lenses?
02-22-2014, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! What lenses do you have? What do you think is limiting you?
I would suggest you get something like the DA 50mm f1.8 lens. It doesn't cost much, but it has snappy AF and great image quality! And it works well in low light situations, too (just switch to f2.4 or lower, and you can handhold it indoors with nicely sharp photos). This is something great that Pentax has, the DA 35mm f2.4, DA 40mm XS, and DA 50mm f1.8 lenses - very cheap, but amazing quality! Lots of bang for buck. Of course, you can look at higher end lenses, too, but those are over $500 easily.
I think getting a lens like this can be an important first step in going from "decent" photos to "great!" and even some stunners

Edit: If you feel you need more MP (for large prints, like posters), or faster AF, then you might want to consider a K-5II. These are on firesale right now (discontinued, last season's model), but they have pro features and great AF, great image quality. Definitely a step up from the K-x, but it is also a little more complicated to use. And you need decent lenses to get the most out of it. With DSLRs, lenses are often more important than the camera body.

02-23-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Firstly welcome to the forum, usually with childrens sports you can get fairly close to the action, so at least saves having to get the exotic expensive glassware.
02-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

Totally agree with the above posts. The K-X is a very capable camera and your only likely to find it falling short on high level, fast paced sports. For childrens sports it's more than good enough but the glass is definitely the important bit. I would look at getting a lens in the 70-200 f4 or f2.8 bracket, the f4 would probably be more than good enough especially at the K-X has decent ISO capabilities so adding one stop of ISO to compensate for the shutter speed shouldn't effect IQ particularly.

The 50 f1.8 is a good suggestion too, take both, as if you can get closer the prime will give better IQ, then you have the zoom if you need more reach.
02-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
If you really have the upgrade bug, I'd get a nice used K-5 is you're on a budget, or a K-3 if you have more money.

Hi

I made that change some time ago, from a K-X to both k5 and k3
at last, i end up leaving the k3 to my wife, and keeping the k5 for myself. event if the k3 is more recent, i find my k5 easier to use (says the geek Inside me), more accurate/fast on focus, and more complete when it comes to play with manual mode.
On the other side, K3 has a better handling if you have small hands, and is really above the k5 in automatic mode.

of course, this is only based upon an amateur opinion

T.

02-23-2014, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote
Totally agree with the above posts. The K-X is a very capable camera and your only likely to find it falling short on high level, fast paced sports. For childrens sports it's more than good enough but the glass is definitely the important bit. I would look at getting a lens in the 70-200 f4 or f2.8 bracket, the f4 would probably be more than good enough especially at the K-X has decent ISO capabilities so adding one stop of ISO to compensate for the shutter speed shouldn't effect IQ particularly.

The 50 f1.8 is a good suggestion too, take both, as if you can get closer the prime will give better IQ, then you have the zoom if you need more reach.
I would highly recommend the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 which will handle fast sports shots with ease and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for your low light shots. Here's an example.

03-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I would highly recommend the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 which will handle fast sports shots with ease and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for your low light shots. Here's an example.
Well I am definitely shopping now :\ My camera went out on me Friday. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am debating about getting another K-X since I LOVED mine! I glanced at the K-R and K-7 too. I ultimately want a K5 iis, but will have to work my way up to that. I really want to get the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. My photography instructor recommended it also.
03-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Tootie ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J