Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

Hi all from a newbie K20D (and KX - therein lies a tale) user

Hi all. Newbie to Pentax, DSLR's and to fora (forums ??).

Bought a KX on Gumtree since could go and view it, check it out etc. Seemed fine, came with two lenses, etc. Had it a couple of months, and then LCD went for no apparent reason. Searched high and low for a fix, but none really apparent, and cost of repair is more than it's worth - sob..

So, this time to ebay. But got a good deal (here's hoping) on a K20D body. Heavier beast, but do a lot of outdoors-y stuff, so hopefully worth the weather seals etc.

Have opened up the KX to see if can fix loose wires or unseated plugs, but to no avail as yet.

Any suggestions welcomed !!

Will post some shots once I think they are good enough to show others!

Still puzzled by the green button - but otherwise, getting to love the K20D. MY last SLR was a film one (a Canon AE-1). Lasted well, and still going the distance I hope with another owner....

Lenses I've now got are DAL 1:4-5.6 50-200 ED, DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55 AL, and an older A 1:1.7 prime. How do those rate in the scheme of things?

Cheers all.

02-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, the SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 is one of the best of it's type for that era.
02-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
the SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 is one of the best of it's type for that era.
+1 on that, great lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by gauche Quote
Have opened up the KX to see if can fix loose wires or unseated plugs, but to no avail as yet.

Any suggestions welcomed !!
I just fixed a friends Canon 50D which had a broken LCD... Got one off of Ebay for $15. Took a while to change it but all is fine now.
02-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
+1 on that, great lens.

I just fixed a friends Canon 50D which had a broken LCD... Got one off of Ebay for $15. Took a while to change it but all is fine now.
Wow, impressed by the quick reactions- thanks all!

Hoping to use the prime for stills/closeups, without the expense of a good macro lens - do-able ??

Here in the UK (Scotland) , it's been a very wet winter, and grey along with it, so not many opportunities to try the camera yet.

With the LCD, i am not sure its' the lcs screen as such that is broken, since it was working one day and not the next, without a knock, water, anything. A repair shop said it was the main board, but in other respects it's working fine, so not sure. As one person said on one site, it just forces you back to film photography, which is true I suppose, but there are a host of other reasons to want to see the screen!!

Ce la vie....

02-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hoping to use the prime for stills/closeups, without the expense of a good macro lens - do-able ??
Definitely doable. You can get decent results with the lens alone for stills but for macro, get some extension tubes or a Macro converter (front or rear).

I use my A50 for this purpose almost exclusively (macro + converter) I loose 2 stops of light but it still keeps the lens on par with most recent macro lenses. IQ is very nice and being a manual lens manual focusing is a breeze.

For your Kx. Try using pktether (software, google it) to tether your camera. At least this way, you'll be able to modify the settings because aside from Green mode or P mode, no LCD on a Kx severely limits it...

And here is my little macro kit I was taking about.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks fgaudet! Will see what ebay uk turns up on the macro front. And will try pktether - good idea.

Used to have macro ext etc for the Canon film camera and sold as a job lot...

Cheers again
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Here in the UK (Scotland) , it's been a very wet winter, and grey along with it
Not just me then, you noticed it too.

02-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here in the UK (Scotland) , it's been a very wet winter,
At least you're not buried under 4' of snow. The nice beautiful pictures of the white blessing were taken in November during the first snow fall... After a while taking pictures of white ground, blue cloudless sky and trees with no leaves is really getting boring... And WR or not, -30 Celsius is just too cold...
02-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, gauche... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J