Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from North Hollywood, CA, USA!

Hi Everyone,

I just joined tonight after searching for some info on a couple of the Pentax film SLR's I've recently purchased. So much great info on this site! Cheers!

Specifically, I have the Asahi Spotmatic SP as well as the Spotmatic F, and along with these two bodies I have a Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens, a Takumar SMC 50mm f/1.4 and an Auto-Takumar 55mm f/2. Of these goodies, I have only shot a single roll of film thus far with the SP and Super-Takumar 1.4 combo [non-SMC].

Prior to the Spotmatic SP, I'd been shooting only digital, but nothing compares to the joy I get out of shooting my Pentax film SLR. I've been bitten and I'm completely obsessed.

By the way - anyone in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area know of a great place for servicing/restoring these old SLR's? I've found a couple of spots online that seem like they'd be OK but I'd feel a lot better if I had a solid recommendation from someone who has had a positive experience. Anyway, I look forward to talkin' shop with you all and sharing some photos and stories.

All my best,

~ Beto

02-24-2014, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, happy you could join us.
02-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, mate!
02-25-2014, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Best suggestion is to send them to Eric Hendrickson.
Check this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ndrickson.html

02-25-2014, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Howdy from Echo Park.
Someone at Bel Air Camera would be able to give you a definitive yes or no on what can be repaired here in town.
02-25-2014, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, there's a quite strong film users section here, enjoy.
02-25-2014, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France, Beto, and welcome to PF ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

PS - Just got back two from Eric H. ... Top notch work IMHO, J

03-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome. Best suggestion is to send them to Eric Hendrickson.
Check this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ndrickson.html
Thank you so much for the tip, Larry, and thanks and hello to All! It looks like Mr. Eric Hendrickson is the definitely the cat I need to get in touch. Much appreciated!

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France, Beto, and welcome to PF ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

PS - Just got back two from Eric H. ... Top notch work IMHO, J
Bonjour, Jean! I'm not too sure how to post photos on here yet as I'm fairly unfamiliar with forums and also with resizing my files to meet the site's requirements, so I'm posting a link to a few of my Spotmatic photos here:

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP - a set on Flickr

These are from the one and only roll of film I've shot using my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP. At 1/1000th, and apparently only intermittently, I'm seeing part of the shutter curtain in my shot and half of the frame is black, which is why I need to send it off for CLA. The frames linked here are the only ones I'm fairly satisfied with...but coming from digital to analog, I definitely got put in my place, especially with the manual focusing. Also, just as an added note, most of the shots I made on this roll were metered using my iPhone app. I find that the in-camera meter favors slower shutter speeds which I don't really like to use unless I have no other choice.

Salut!

~ Beto

03-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

little camera shop near NoHo

Live in the Wilshire district...bought my first Pentax manual lens from a place off of Magnolia and Whitsett (right next to the post office) nearish to you I think. You may want to try that shop. Small little shop but the staff seems nice. Think they sell used and may perform repairs as well. They might know someone good local as well.

Just a thought.
03-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beslocum Quote
Live in the Wilshire district...bought my first Pentax manual lens from a place off of Magnolia and Whitsett (right next to the post office) nearish to you I think. You may want to try that shop. Small little shop but the staff seems nice. Think they sell used and may perform repairs as well. They might know someone good local as well.

Just a thought.
Whoa, that's just down the street...definitely worth checking out. I'll look them up! Thank you kindly, friend!
03-05-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #11

You can also check with Harry's Camera on Ventura Blvd. in Studio City.