Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Q for wildlife video

I'm new to Pentax and this forum. I never thought that I would be here to be honest, but I've been drawn in by the wonderful little Pentax Q. My gadget bag reveals that I also have alliances to Canon and Nikon and I have an eclectic mix of gear and adaptors to enable me to use the gear in combination. I bought the Pentax Q knowing that it has the smallest sensor because I wanted the maximum punch from my Nikkor manual-focus 300mm f2.8 and doubler. I'm not a wildlife photographer in the traditional sense, but I do enjoy taking shots of the birds and other wildlife I see. Most of the time the species I observe are a long way away and therefore I need the maximum reach to pull them in closer. The Pentax Q is perfect for the job. With the 300mm lens and doubler I get a focal length over 3000mm in old money. However, there are compromises. For really distant wildlife, I prefer to shoot video at ISO400 and stop the lens down to at least f5.6. Even in dull light I can get a reasonable high shutter speed enabling me to extract freeze frame stills, which are good enough for identification and sharing on social media. By stopping down I can wrestle the maximum sharpness from my lens. Wide open it's too soft, but stopping down a couple of clicks it's pretty sharp, even though I'm only using a fraction of the field of view. I'm amazed by the results. I know of no other combination that can yield the quality over the distance. Thank you Pentax

02-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's good hear that the Q is giving you what you need from it, when you get a chance please do post some images from it.
02-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... thanks for your intro and hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J