Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #1

Intro

Brand new to the Pentax Forum. Very long time Pentax user. Started with a K1000, with a 50mm f2.0 lens in late 1970's. Got back into photography acouple of years ago and used an Olympus 4/3 until early this year when I made the switch back to Pentax. I had used the old 50mm lens with an adaptor on the Olympus, but wanted a Pentax DSLR. Purchased a K30 with a WR kit lens to start. Really just learning the basics again, but so far I have been very impressed with my new camera and benefits of having so many new and old lens to try. I have used the old 50mm lens with the new body and needed to brush up on the Sunny 16 rule . Hope to post some pictures soon.

02-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #2

Hello everyone. I've been using Pentax cameras ever since I started talking photographs which was over 20 years ago. my first camera was the P30 followed quickly by the sfxn. I loaded bulk film cartridges and developed and printed my own black and white pictures. I really miss using film but I have finally upgraded and moved with the times and entered the digital world I recently bought a Kr with the twin lenses kit and am still trying to get to grips with it that's how I found this forum. I'm obviously familiar with exposure and dof control etc but I'm not finding the digital Kr to be very intuitive my initial impression was that there are so many settings that it detracts from the picture taking process, for me at least. so having read through many posts on here im going to start with Aperture priority and change the focus point to the centre im not sure about changing the white balance but will have a play with that to in time to see how it effects my photos.
02-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Center focus, center weighted metering are both good for most shooting. You'll still need to keep an eye on your ISO, to keep it in a comfortable range.

Welcome to both of you!
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

thanks Ter-or as I probably wont be doing a lot of low light shooting I figured id put the ISO at 400'as a starting point and will increase it if necessary

02-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... hope to see a K-30 image or two soon ... Salut, J
02-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. the good news is that basics haven't changed, even your 50 mm lens will still work on your K-3, enjoy.
02-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Center focus, center weighted metering are both good for most shooting. You'll still need to keep an eye on your ISO, to keep it in a comfortable range.

Welcome to both of you!
Thanks for the tips on center focus and metering. Any thoughts on using live view and focus peaking with your manual focus lens?
Thanks
02-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The only camera I have with focus peaking is the Q, and I haven't played with it too much. I use Catch-in-Focus (CIF) with manual lenses on my K5 and it's great. The autofocus also gives you focus confirmation (green hexagon in the VF) which is a big help too. The A series lenses are simpler to use, since the camera controls the aperture unlike M or K series (or older). Still, if you've got a good background in the old manual film cameras you'll be in good shape. Pentax makes that easier than anyone.

02-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Just found a 1958 all black pentax K in very good condition need to find out who can check the camera out?

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 12:06 PM ----------

Should I even use this camera not into shooting photo but really interested on what I should do and I'm sorry hello everyone .
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by firsttime Quote
Just found a 1958 all black pentax K in very good condition need to find out who can check the camera out?

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 12:06 PM ----------

Should I even use this camera not into shooting photo but really interested on what I should do and I'm sorry hello everyone .
Bonjour firsttime,

For Pentax SLR repair, I would suggest that you look at this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ndrickson.html

I just received 2 camreas back from Eric ... A+ work, J

- - - - - - - - - - -

Pentax Camera Service

Eric Hendrickson
pentax27@aol.com
188 Shoffner Rd
Sharps Chapel, TN 37866
Fax/phone 865 278-1051