Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

New Pentax K-50 Owner from Oregon

I just entered the Pentax world. I originally started with a Minolta SRT 201 in 1977 when I received it as a graduation present. I consider that a blessing as back then you really did have to understand the relationships between aperture, shutter and ISO. So with the digital SLR I still sometimes find myself wanting to reach for the aperture ring.

The K-50 is my first digital SLR. I've had a chance to use the canon T3i and was amazed at the capabilities compared to the old days. I'm looking forward to this new camera which seemed like the best option for what I wanted to spend. In particular the built in IS and the weatherproofing. Most of my photos will be taken outdoors.

My camera came with the two kit lenses but I will at some point extent my reach beyond the 200mm. I also will at somepoint be tempted by the 18-270 lens just because it would give me great versatility while wandering thorough wilderness areas.

I've gained a bunch of great information and advice on here already and hope that I'll be able to contribute, hopefully sooner rather than later.

One thing I could use help with is advice on a basic flash. What would suit me at this time is an automatic bounce flash that would also be good to about 15' in non-bounce mode. I'm not looking to sink a huge amount of money here. Any thoughts?

02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if I can make a suggestion, if you post your queries over in the relevant sections of the forum, your much more liable to a bigger response than here.
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums and the Pentax family
02-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, TedW ... I started with Minolta SRT's and a K-1000 ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

02-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
02-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! The 360 flash will bounce, the 540 can also pivot to the side.
My brother's out in Portland, I've only visited once but we spent several days up in the mountains doing some primitive camping. Wow, that was cool camping in the volcanic caldera. Next time I'm doing some time lapses and astrophotography. I didn't bring my DSLR then, but I will the next visit.
02-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ter-or, That is mostly what this camera will be used for. Outdoors photography. Mountain wilderness, coastal photos and birds. You certainly should bring your camera next time you visit
03-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I brought my little Olympus tough camera which did OK for around the camp etc, I got some great shots. But yeah, next time I'm bringing the K5 and a small assortment. I'm sure we'll go back into the mountains again, too.