Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Back at it...

Hi all,

I bought my first SLR prior to my honeymoon in 2000. A ZX-7 with a kit 28-90. A number of years later, I moved to digital via a used K100d which included a small collection of zooms and manual primes. As life got busy, the k100d gave way to my smartphone camera more and more, but the pictures haven't been the same.

About a month ago, I dusted off the k100d and have remembered why I enjoyed it so much. I'm planning to buy an upgrade soon... K3 or maybe a K5iis. I'm also looking to buy some AF primes, as I think I'm more of a prime kit shooter vs a zoom lens user. LBA is reborn.

I've read a lot in the forum, I've worn out the search function, and expect I will be posting some. So, hi!

D

03-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Shouldn't you start with:

Hi, I am diggler and I am an LensBuyingAddict?

Welcome to the club
03-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, that sounds right. Seriously, I've broken the search function in the forum, I think.

-K3 vs k5iis plus the savings (undecided)

-DA limited primes vs FA limited primes (leaning FA plus the DA 15 as my eventual goal)

This will get ugly...
03-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by diggler Quote
This will get ugly...
But with very nice and sharp pictures documenting it.

03-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome.
I continue to use my K100D, but the K-x gets more use.
Best wishes.
03-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello diggler, welcome to the Forum!
Sounds like you have a good plan, quality primes and flagship body. Good Luck!
Post some photos when you can,
Ron
03-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! The research phase is kind of fun.
03-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, I'm a notorious researcher, and realize that I enjoy this phase a lot. Thanks for the welcome--- I'll say a bit more, in case anyone would like to share some advice.

As I mentioned, my plan is to start building towards a FA limited prime lens collection because they are cheaper than the DA lenses. (not a typo) Cheaper, because I know myself well enough to understand that if I get the DA Limiteds I will end up wanting the FA Limiteds and end up paying for both eventually. I think I'm less likely to chase the DAs if I start slowly toward the FAs.

I'm still torn between the K-3 (new $1300 offer from site sponsor, including a battery grip and the 1.8 50mm), a 5Kiis for $400-500 cheaper (but no grip and 1.8 50mm, so effectively it is close to the same price), or riding my K100d with some new/dramatically better glass for longer. I'm open to suggestions, here (and I continue to utilize search for insights on this topic).

I've been a JPEG shooter, mostly due to simplicity and a lack of experience with RAW. I'm sure I could get there, and the idea of shooting in both is intriguing. I haven't made large prints very often. Historically, I've taken pictures to share with friends and family online, but this could evolve as well.

I am in no way a pro. "Re-aspiring hobbyist", perhaps. My uses are typically candid family pictures (3 kids), portraits, occasional non-professional event shooting (think church or neighborhood stuff), family weddings (but not as the professional photographer), golf shots and travel/vacation shots ranging from street to landscape (primarily domestic urban US). For me, indoor speed is important, although some of that is primarily due to my older body. I find myself shooting inside with lower light a fair amount. I feel more at home when shooting wider angles, but like the good candid portrait shots too (this could have something to do with my results being better when shooting wide, and my tendency to never bring a tripod). I love the artistic effect of really good bokeh.

My gear: I currently have the k100d, the kit 28-90, DA 50-200, a Promaster 24-200 (3.5-5.6), a used/slightly damaged but functional SMC-F 50mm 1.7, a manual JC Penney 28mm 2.8, the Zenitar 16mm manual, and a manual 200mm Cosina (4.0). The Promaster 24-200 came used with the K100d, and it lived on the camera because of the long zoom range. As I got further into using the K100d, I found myself collecting some of the primes, and going out with a few of them vs. the zoom lenses. I like using the primes, but I'd like to move towards a kit with AF. My best pictures have come with the 50mm AF, but it feels a bit long in many indoor situations, and a bit short in settings when I've wanted to be more candid (my kids on the playground). I've also gotten some good pictures with the Zenitar 16mm.

I also built a small strobist inspired collection of hobbyist lighting gear, including the Pentax AF360 flash, two other speedlights, some cheap umbrellas/stands, ebay RF triggers, gels, etc.

Regards!

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 10:04 AM ----------

I can't edit my post yet (lack permission), but shooting video with my DSLR is not something that I expect I will do... although I guess that could change, too.

03-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Your current kit is still half decent, however getting the limited will for sure up your game by a fair amount.

Your K100d is getting quite old, it will still serve you well but as you get better glass, you might end up out-resolving your sensor. Also if your cropping your pictures a lot (like for wildlife) the extra megapixel will be a welcome upgrade.

We live in a great time right now, used K5 are going for very cheap, and you will soon see a bunch of used K5II hitting the marketplace when the K3 will drop in price. As it is often mentioned, the premium of the K3 may not be worth it depending on your needs. K5II are extremely capable cameras (so are the K5 to a lesser extent).

The grip shouldn't be an argument in your decision. It does balance the larger DA* and third party lens well but it won't help with the compact*er FA. Unless of course your camera spend most of it's time in portrait mode. Even the added second battery shouldn't affect your decision, you're still gonna get close to 1000 shots with a single charge. And you could always go for a china BG4 for $50.

Working with RAW adds quite a few step in your process but it makes a world of difference when it comes to adjustments. Most adjustments will be almost lossless on a RAW file (to a certain extent), where your JPG will get butchered every step of the way.
03-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography, remember to save some time from research, to actually take some pictures.
03-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
Ha, good point!
03-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, diggler ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J