Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Hi from Peru!

Hi!

Sorry about my bad English, this not my native language, my grammar sucks.

I would like choose my first Pentax (even DSLR) camera, but I can't do the wrong choice because my low budget is an investment on me.
I'm between in K-30 and K-500, I read few pages (reviews and comparatives, mostly in English)

K-500 pros:
Still in production, can buy a new (boxed)

K-30 pros:
Sealed for water (rain, not can swim ) dust and zero temp.

Yes, I'm new taking pictures, a newbie, an very amateur photographer but I hope be better, maybe in future I'm work on it.
I need make best value for money.
Another question, the lens from kit (K-500) have autofocus IN LENS or autofocus feature is in the camera only?

I can't, really, I can't afford K-50, 200 bucks more for it, is too much. 200 is 3/4 monthly paycheck.

And please, be my guest to correct my grammar.

Thanks in advance.

03-02-2014, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #2

saludos amigo de peru ... yo hablo espanol muy bien pero no lo escribo muy bien(especialmente con cosas de cameras haha) so te voy a decil todo de que yo puedas en ingles ...

ok here goes.. i had the same dilema as you a couple of months ago..i eventually settled on the k30 because the k-30 is exactly like the k50 the only thing it has is that it comes with the WR lens and it has a HDMI port of the side and few "minor" add ons like higher ISO...i eventually bought the k30 on amazon for $430 and was able to buy the 18-55 WR lens for $66(it basically sells for 100 used and like around 150 new on amazon) so unless u plan on taking alot of video and using the the higher ISO then i would suggest getting the K30 because its essentially the same camera and to alot of people especially here in the pentaxforums its better..eventually i settled on the white K30 and i love it..i love the design and ive used it in snowy/raining conditions and even freezing temperatures and have had alot of full frame nikon users ask me what camera i was using..it is not being made anymore but that doesnt mean it still not being supported..they also still release updates (if needed).so porque no!? ..the K500(body only) cost 150-175 more than the k30(body only) and it has NO weather sealing so i wouldnt even look at that one lol..so my advice is get the K30 and buy a used 18-55WR lens from someone here on the forums (for like $100) if u can or u can try ebay ..and you only end up paying around $540 for everything

---------- Post added 03-02-14 at 11:09 PM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/253155-sal...50-200-wr.html (this is from some one here on the forums,they are selling 2 good WR lenses for a good price)

Amazon.com: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR (Black, Body Only): Camera & Photo (here is the amazon listing for the k30 the white one is $424..blue is $419 and the black one is $440) u cannot go wrong with any of them

i hope this helps my friend

Last edited by ILLmatic173; 03-03-2014 at 08:15 AM.
03-03-2014, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your situation I'd look for the K30 as well. Whether you find one used or new is all just shopping. It's a fine camera, with plenty of room for growth as a photographer.

The weathersealing is probably something you'll appreciate in the long run. The 18-135 is a nicer lens, but if that's out of your budget then just use the 18-55 and eventually keep an eye on the used market for other options.
03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

forgot to mention the 18-135mm WR...good one TER-OR!

03-04-2014, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, once you've got yourself sorted out with some prime Pentax kit, please remember to post some of your Peru images.
03-04-2014, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Hola LeonPajuelo,
Yo no soy de Perú, pero del otro lado del charco.
Bienvenido al foro.

Hace unos meses yo estuve en una duda similar; quería cambiar mi K110D por algo mejor; así que tenía en mente la K30 que acababa de salir (de hecho eso fué el año pasado), porque su cuerpo es sellado; pero luego pensé y realmente no lo necesito. En cambio sí quería una camara con 6fps en ráfaga, así que compré una K-r de segunda mano por unos 330€.

En tu lugar, iria a por la más económica, ya que son muy parecidas. Eso sí, no sé si necesitas que la camara esté sellada o no.

Now in english:

Hi LeonPajuelo, and welcome to the forum,
I'm not from Peru, but from the other side of the Ocean.

Some time ago, a year more or less, I had the same issues. I wanted to improve my K110D and so I was looking at the K30, but as long as I don't need the sealed body and because of my limited budget, I went for a K-r instead as I wanted a camera fast as 6fps,

In your case, I'd go for the most economic camera; as I don't know if you need the sealed body. If you do, then go straight for the K30.

Saludos desde Barcelona.
03-04-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Leon ... don't worry about your English and hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for advises:

Finally I'll buy K-500 18-55 kit (new for USD 400), I can't find K-30 but these used lens WR (linked above) are great deal Maybe late.
I'll try to post pics from my city/country.

Ohh, the K-30 (sealed WR) will usefull to take pictures at "Circuito Mágico del Agua" (The Magic Water Circuit), last week I took pics with Fujifilm Finepix S2950 (plastic bag to protect it ) in that place.

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Hola LeonPajuelo,
Yo no soy de Perú, pero del otro lado del charco.
Bienvenido al foro.

Hace unos meses yo estuve en una duda similar; quería cambiar mi K110D por algo mejor; así que tenía en mente la K30 que acababa de salir (de hecho eso fué el año pasado), porque su cuerpo es sellado; pero luego pensé y realmente no lo necesito. En cambio sí quería una camara con 6fps en ráfaga, así que compré una K-r de segunda mano por unos 330€.

En tu lugar, iria a por la más económica, ya que son muy parecidas. Eso sí, no sé si necesitas que la camara esté sellada o no.

Now in english:

Hi LeonPajuelo, and welcome to the forum,
I'm not from Peru, but from the other side of the Ocean.

Some time ago, a year more or less, I had the same issues. I wanted to improve my K110D and so I was looking at the K30, but as long as I don't need the sealed body and because of my limited budget, I went for a K-r instead as I wanted a camera fast as 6fps,

In your case, I'd go for the most economic camera; as I don't know if you need the sealed body. If you do, then go straight for the K30.

Saludos desde Barcelona.
Gracias por el consejo, por tema de seguridad/confianza es que prefiero comprar la K-500 nueva, la traerá una amigo que viaje desde USA en un par de semanas porque acá en Lima piden USD 850 (K-500) y USD 1050 (K-50), un robo!.

Publicaré en cuanto pueda, estoy aprendiendo a fotografiar en modo manual.

Nos estamos leyendo!

03-08-2014, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeonPajuelo Quote
Thanks to everyone for advises:

Finally I'll buy K-500 18-55 kit (new for USD 400), I can't find K-30 but these used lens WR (linked above) are great deal Maybe late.
I'll try to post pics from my city/country.

Ohh, the K-30 (sealed WR) will usefull to take pictures at "Circuito Mágico del Agua" (The Magic Water Circuit), last week I took pics with Fujifilm Finepix S2950 (plastic bag to protect it ) in that place.

Gracias por el consejo, por tema de seguridad/confianza es que prefiero comprar la K-500 nueva, la traerá una amigo que viaje desde USA en un par de semanas porque acá en Lima piden USD 850 (K-500) y USD 1050 (K-50), un robo!.

Publicaré en cuanto pueda, estoy aprendiendo a fotografiar en modo manual.

Nos estamos leyendo!
Claro, todo lleva su tiempo
Me parece una elección muy acertada, seguro que disfrutas muchísimo.

Saludos!

Sure, everything takes it's time
I think it's a great choose, I am sure you'll enjoy a lot.

Cheers!