Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Excited to be here, new owner of a K-30

Hi folks:

I am a graduate student at Yale (and VERY ready to leave the school and New Haven in general, yeesh)... and to that end, I am finishing this last semester here by working in as many hiking/camping trips as I can.

My trip to Acadia to tent camp in February saw the winds off the Atlantic catch and spike my old Fujifilm into the ground, so... now I own a Pentax K-30 and am excited to be here!

Besides hiking and historical site photos across New England, these next few months will (if I can manage to afford the other gear I need) include a lot of amateur attempts to get into astrophotography, especially when I am in the wastes of Vermont where "light pollution" is a quaint idea, divorced from reality.

Looking forward to becoming involved in this community further, and benefiting from the accrued wisdom of other users as I make sense of this amazing device!

Mike

03-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

Welcome from another K-30 user. A great camera and a great forum. Lots of helpful posts and members to assist you. New England is a wonderful part of the U.S. I always look forward to trips to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine on my way back home to Nova Scotia.

Regards
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome!
03-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrbrefast Quote
Excited to be here, new owner of a K-30
Welcome, you enjoy that K-30 and please remember to share here some images of your adventures.

03-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Mike ... hope to see a K-30 image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
Welcome
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Welcome!
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Salut,
To one and all, thanks, merci, et cetera (if a sentence doesn't involve English, French, and Latin, it isn't really a sentence!).

So I am not sure of the proper protocol for posting photos to this site, so I went with my Photobucket account (please let me know if something else is required/preferred):

Photo of my beloved 1996 diesel VW (which just hit 247,000 miles and still purrs) with the brand new Bajarack roof basket and axe/shovel mount in place:

Focus on the shovel head (which could use some rust proofing I think):

And now the axe head, held in place by the handle:

Pentax K-30 with the 18-55mm WR lens, taken with auto settings (because I am running around prepping for a camping trip I depart for tomorrow morning!), but thoughts on "where to best focus the center of the lens next time" and the like would be appreciated.

Finally, if it isn't in bad form, would I be OK to do a new thread with the best of the pics from shoeshowing and camping in Vermont this weekend?

Thanks!

Mike
03-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Some photos from the trip

Hi all:

A few very few shots from the trip (and if you're interested in more, I would direct you to my blog at exploratoriusnewhaven.wordpress.com):

Arrival and hiking in, as the temperatures plummeted to -18 degrees F that first night:

The

Additionally,

As a final entry from the trip, myself in front of the Long Trail, as the sun began to set yesteday:

I hope you do check out the blog posts (slowly doing them now, will be 3) and offer me some feedback!

EDIT: the links to each blog post are here now-

http://exploratoriusnewhaven.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/nece-4-day-1_little-river-state-park-vt/
http://exploratoriusnewhaven.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/nece-4-day-2-the-green...r-observatory/
http://exploratoriusnewhaven.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/nece-4-day-3-dog-sleds...-icy-memories/

Last edited by mrbrefast; 03-09-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added links
03-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #8

welcome

Hello Fellow K30-guy
Hang out, post, read, enjoy, and profit \o/
03-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums! I also own a K-30 and I've cross 12k shutter cycles. It's a tough camera that can help produce great images.
12-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hey! Welcome. As a newbie of last week I feel compelled to reach out:-) I myself just purchased K-5IIs, but have yet to receive it for my bday in a few days. And with it I purchased a used DD 40mm Limited lens from KEH(very good reviews here if you ever consider: SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I like observing wildlife and my pets, as well as obsessing over my food on different trips...yeah yeah, I know, i should eat my food not take pictures of it.
Anyway, good luck!
12-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! A winter trip in Vermont sounds great, my dogs would love it!

We get the cold here west of Chicago, but sadly not a lot of snow, we're on the wrong side of the lake.