Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

New to Pentax

Hi Guys:

I recently sold all of my Nikon gear D800 and an assortment of lenses. I shoot mostly Landscape and wedding photography.
I was looking at the Sony A7R when somehow I remembered that Pentax has a MF camera and so I have been pouring over this thread.

I have a wedding to shoot in May, 2014 and I am trying to hold out for the new 645D if possible.(hoping that the existing 645D drops even further)..else because of my budget I may just pick one up that is slightly used or in excellent condition.

Any thoughts on the lenses that everyone raves about? 55mm, 120mm etc...
I am hoping that I can get in the used market for the $6k to $7k range including a good starter lense? BTW, are there any Leaf Shutter Lenses for the 645D. I like hi Sync speeds when possible.

Again, I am looking upgrade my quality and the MF format has been one that I can just look at from a distance due to cost, until I saw that you can get a MF Pentax 645D for under $10k.

Thoughts? I am glad to have found your community!

Cheers,

Mojava

03-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good luck with your sub $7K MF Pentax, I'm sure something will turn up, hopefully in time for May.
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! If you want to keep costs under $10k, I'd still recommend sticking with full-frame. The A7R or D800 would be great choices and they come very close to the 645D's image quality and better at high ISO (see review here). The new 645D 2014 will most likely be a different story, but certainly won't be cheap. Medium format lenses are also costly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mojava Quote
I am hoping that I can get in the used market for the $6k to $7k range including a good starter lense? BTW, are there any Leaf Shutter Lenses for the 645D. I like hi Sync speeds when possible.
Yes, there are two (used only):
SMC Pentax 645 LS 135mm F4 Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax 645 LS 75mm F2.8 Reviews - 645 Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The best starter lens IMO is the 55mm SDM kit lens, as it's modern and relatively compact with solid image quality.

If you do want to get the ball rolling, the 645D is currently on sale with a $500 instant rebate, making it just $6499:
Pentax 645D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 17971 B&H Photo Video

That's pretty close to second-hand prices at this point, and probably worth it for the warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard! If you want to keep costs under $10k, I'd still recommend sticking with full-frame. The A7R or D800 would be great choices and they come very close to the 645D's image quality and better at high ISO (see review here). The new 645D 2014 will most likely be a different story, but certainly won't be cheap. Medium format lenses are also costly.

Yes, there are two (used only):
SMC Pentax 645 LS 135mm F4 Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax 645 LS 75mm F2.8 Reviews - 645 Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The best starter lens IMO is the 55mm SDM kit lens, as it's modern and relatively compact with solid image quality.

If you do want to get the ball rolling, the 645D is currently on sale with a $500 instant rebate, making it just $6499:
Pentax 645D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 17971 B&H Photo Video

That's pretty close to second-hand prices at this point, and probably worth it for the warranty.
Thanks Adam and Kerrow!

I did see that B&H $500 rebate. Its a bit of a timing thing at the moment with the resources to pull the trigger.

I do agree from all of the photos that I have seen that the SDM 55m is a worthwhile lens to start the ensemble with!
I will meanwhile check out the articles that you reposted!

Cheers again!

Mojava

03-05-2014, 03:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=Mojava;

[B]Bonjour[/B] from France and welcome to PF, Mojava ... looks like you got some good advice and hope to see a Pentax image or two soon ... Salut, J