Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Howdy from the Smog in UK!

Been a lurker for ages, especially as I gave up shooting pics along with all my old Bronica 6x6 and Minolta (remember them?!) 35mm gear donkeys years ago! However, I kept a good old faithful SMC 50mm 1.4! With our new baby last year the missus has been wanting to make some nice memory pics the little guy.

Therefore, picked up a K-X and a K100D backup only to stumble at the techno hurdle of "it's too complicated to use!" moan so chopped the bodies in for a K-01 as soon as one came along. In for a penny... so jumped right in and also grabbed a Sigma 35mm DG 1.4!

So I've gone full circle and back to my Pentax roots - still fond of the reassuring shutter clack in the K1000, and very fond of my favourite Program A, which I thought handled like a dream!

03-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, make sure you get plenty images of the wee one, otherwise before you know it they are look back at you at eye level.
03-07-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, NutterKam ... hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
03-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome.

I've since picked up another Sigma - the very rare (in PK mount anyway) 30mm EX DC 1.4. Delighted at getting it for a steal and first impressions compared to the 35mm DG 1.4, other than the obvious weight and build difference, is how loud it is, because it's screw drive only.

The focussing speed is pretty good but near distance and low light focussing ability is nowhere near as good as the 35mm. Focussing accuracy seems good on mine.

Image quality - well, for the candid shooting I do these days it's absolutely fine! As always, I only buy 1.4 or 1.8 lenses and I use them wide open all the time. Frankly, I don't care if I get barrel, vignetting, unsharp corners because they're almost always bokeh'd out anyways! My gut feeling is that this much lighter and usable, albeit noisy, slightly wider lens will probably stay on the camera, which means I'll more than likely let the 35mm go, despite it being a much superior lens.