Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
PC228A's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12
K-X vs K200D

Glad to finally join the forum. My wife currently uses the K200D and I am thinking of getting her the K-X as a back-up/extra camera. Do any of you see a true advantage of the K-X over the K200D?

03-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
QuoteOriginally posted by PC228A Quote
Glad to finally join the forum. My wife currently uses the K200D and I am thinking of getting her the K-X as a back-up/extra camera. Do any of you see a true advantage of the K-X over the K200D?
For roughly the same price you can find a K5ii, which is definitely an advantage in many areas over the K200D.
03-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
For roughly the same price you can find a K5ii, which is definitely an advantage in many areas over the K200D.
Where do you see that?!?! K-X's seem to go for $200-$250 to these days... If a K5ii is the same price, I'll be there like the speed of light!
03-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
Huh. I just did 30 sec search on Amazon. Maybe I just found the one retailer overcharging for the K-X? Are you looking for used or new?

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 10:27 AM ----------

But really, in either case, the K-X is rather entry level and picking her up any of the former flagship models will give improvements over the K-X in most every regard. Even the K-7, though the direct IQ may be slightly less, the overall handling is is better in every way.

03-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Huh. I just did 30 sec search on Amazon. Maybe I just found the one retailer overcharging for the K-X? Are you looking for used or new?
Used-- not worth it to buy new digital gear IMO, it depreciates the most in the first couple years. Most people will sell warranties for used gear if you want, even. I'm about 4-5 years behind the times, and my work wouldn't be significantly better than it is now if I used a K-3.

New is especially a bad idea with something that's 5-6 years old.

KEH has K-X's for $175-$250. They have K20d's for about $250, too, which are also stellar cameras in the price range. More durable, and weather sealed vs. a K-X, too!
03-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Used-- not worth it to buy new digital gear IMO, it depreciates the most in the first couple years. Most people will sell warranties for used gear if you want, even. I'm about 4-5 years behind the times, and my work wouldn't be significantly better than it is now if I used a K-3.

New is especially a bad idea with something that's 5-6 years old.

KEH has K-X's for $175-$250. They have K20d's for about $250, too, which are also stellar cameras in the price range. More durable, and weather sealed vs. a K-X, too!
Definitely agree. I sort of float between the extremes personally. I've bought latest/new a couple of times but I hold on to my bodies for a very long time without upgrading - it's just not worth it. So I think my investment becomes a wash. The three cams I've ordered new within a month of release are the K-7, K-3 and Ricoh GR... but in each case I new what I was getting into and why I was doing it, not just "cuz it's the latest".

At any rate, the K20d is a helluv a cam. I shot with the K10d for a quite a long while... but I will point out that coming from from the K10d to the K-7 was one of the most joyful upgrades I've ever experienced in terms of handling and just about everything. I suspect it might be similar coming from a K200d... and K-7s are cheap nowadays.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 10:37 AM ----------

I just sold my K-7 a couple weeks ago. It went around the world with me, literally. It was cosmetically beat to hell but still shot like a freaking champ and I sold it for $300.
03-08-2014, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Definitely agree. I sort of float between the extremes personally. I've bought latest/new a couple of times but I hold on to my bodies for a very long time without upgrading - it's just not worth it. So I think my investment becomes a wash. The three cams I've ordered new within a month of release are the K-7, K-3 and Ricoh GR... but in each case I new what I was getting into and why I was doing it, not just "cuz it's the latest".

At any rate, the K20d is a helluv a cam. I shot with the K10d for a quite a long while... but I will point out that coming from from the K10d to the K-7 was one of the most joyful upgrades I've ever experienced in terms of handling and just about everything. I suspect it might be similar coming from a K200d... and K-7s are cheap nowadays.
I've turned friends onto Pentax. When I do, they start with a K10d, as it's a fantastic camera, high enough resolution, simple to operate, and it's pretty much bombproof and WR...

The K-01 is a fantastic bargain right now, too. Basically K-5 IQ in a tiny package for about $200-$250. I've been toying with the idea of getting one and a couple primes and optical viewfinders to match, and using it like a rangefinder.
03-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
So anyhow - K-X will give her better IQ by a bit of margin overall. The K-7 will give an extraordinarily different shooting experience. So, IMO, it's down to which of those are the most important to her.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 10:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I've turned friends onto Pentax. When I do, they start with a K10d, as it's a fantastic camera, high enough resolution, simple to operate, and it's pretty much bombproof and WR...

The K-01 is a fantastic bargain right now, too. Basically K-5 IQ in a tiny package for about $200-$250. I've been toying with the idea of getting one and a couple primes and optical viewfinders to match, and using it like a rangefinder.
Good words as well! Though realize the K01 gets a fair amount of hate thrown at it, it also gets a fair amount of rabid love. Personally I could just never get behind it.. It's just not quite right in any way for me. Props to Pentax for stepping out (way out) of the box, but I always felt this thing missed the handling mark.


Last edited by chickentender; 03-08-2014 at 11:52 AM.
03-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,742
QuoteOriginally posted by PC228A Quote
Glad to finally join the forum
Welcome, glad to have you here.
03-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
PC228A's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12
Original Poster
Thanks for the all the useful input everyone. This is obviously the place to be if you love Pentax.
03-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
skid2964's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 603
I have owned the K200 and the K-x, I still have the K-x...

The 10mp sensor in the K200 (and K10, K2000, K-m) create very rich colorful images but so does the K-x 12mp sensor but with better high ISO performance.

Find a K-x for around $200 and see how long she stays happy with it...
03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,545
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, PC228A ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,348
The K-x should be better at high-ISO IQ and possibly AF. Personally, I think you could probably get a K-r for around the same price as a K-x and, very importantly, it has the advantage of AF adjustment for the lenses.

The K200D is much more solidly built, has a top LCD and the option of a grip, all of which count for a lot for me, which is why I haven't upgraded. It also has superb IQ at lower ISOs, which is where I mostly use it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
couple, gear, iq, k-3, k-7, k-x, k10d, k200d, shot, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
55-300 on K-x vs K-5? also, 17-70 vs 18-135 olenl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 02-15-2012 06:46 PM
K-x vs. K200d follow-up InlawBiker Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 03-25-2011 09:28 AM
Would you buy k200D or K-x as backup (for k-x owner)? yusuf Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-04-2011 08:30 AM
K-x AF vs K200D AF alexulo Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-15-2010 11:39 AM
k-x vs. k200d for night shots... Applecart Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 04-04-2010 11:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top