Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #1

New Pentax Fan

Hello everyone. After an exhaustive search I have determined that the new k3 is head and shoulders over the competition.
I come from an old Minolta srt101 and am finally getting into digital. I looked at all the competing brands and reviews and kept coming back to the Pentax. I had gotten beat up with the Canon/Nikon crowd to get one of those. My conclusion is that Pentax was out of the loop for most people until you get into the user reviews. Most of them were scratching their heads at how good this camera is.
So bottom line is I think I have a winner with the F3. I ordered it from the Pentax store for 1649$. It comes with the 18-135 lens and the battery grip. I think that is a great deal. What do you guys think. I almost pulled the trigger at Amazon until I researched the dealer and found they were not an authorized one (phew!) So be careful out there folks. Also I am looking for some must have accessories for this camera and a good place to get them. The Pentax store seems to have good prices and real Pentax stuff. Your opinions will be appreciated.
So, here I am.

03-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us! You'll find this the friendliest, most helpful photo forum anywhere, so please join right in the discussions. You've made a great choice!
03-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Great starting kit. It will take you a while to get used to the digital world. We all will help as much as we can, as Julie said.
03-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
You switched from Minolta to Pentax. That says a lot. The Cannon-Nikon klatch are still scratching their heads that there are more than two camera companies.
Recommended? Its all good. The DA18-135 is a great starting place. I like the DA Limited primes in conjunction with the DA*50-135, but Weather Resistance means I won't ever part with the DA18-135.

03-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us! You'll find this the friendliest, most helpful photo forum anywhere, so please join right in the discussions. You've made a great choice!
Thanks. If all the others are as welcoming as you I'm good with this forum..

---------- Post added 03-09-14 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Welcome!
You switched from Minolta to Pentax. That says a lot. The Cannon-Nikon klatch are still scratching their heads that there are more than two camera companies.
Recommended? Its all good. The DA18-135 is a great starting place. I like the DA Limited primes in conjunction with the DA*50-135, but Weather Resistance means I won't ever part with the DA18-135.
Old school to new school. Film to digital. I had given up on my passion for several years and am now back in. Thanks for the welcome.

---------- Post added 03-09-14 at 02:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Great starting kit. It will take you a while to get used to the digital world. We all will help as much as we can, as Julie said.
Thanks. I'm going to like this forum. I will have a lot of questions so beware.
03-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

You're welcome. The door's open, come on in to the rest of the place, pull up a chair and get involved!
03-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!

The next thing you have to do is to pick up an 2 year extended warranty from Pentax for $20 (it adds to the original 1 year warranty that comes with the body). It is the best deal around - and it comes with a free cleaning.B&H along with Adorama sells them - they are just a post card to keep with your original receipt.

03-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RodBoy Quote
Also I am looking for some must have accessories
Welcome to the forum, we're very good here at helping you to spend your money.

03-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, RodBoy ... hope to see a K-3 image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I cut my teeth on my Dad's fully manual Minolta and then my girlfriend (now wife)'s programed X-700 which we used until around 2001 when it finally succumbed to the elements. I like the ability to have a more manual experience on the Pentax cameras instead of what the computer thinks I should do.
03-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard! I cut my teeth on my Dad's fully manual Minolta and then my girlfriend (now wife)'s programed X-700 which we used until around 2001 when it finally succumbed to the elements. I like the ability to have a more manual experience on the Pentax cameras instead of what the computer thinks I should do.
Ah yes. From the mind of Minolta. It's a shame they couldn't hang in there. They had excellent gear. I wonder if my old lenses will fit on the new K3. Probably not. Maybe there is an adapter out there.
03-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RodBoy Quote
Ah yes. From the mind of Minolta. It's a shame they couldn't hang in there. They had excellent gear. I wonder if my old lenses will fit on the new K3. Probably not. Maybe there is an adapter out there.
I don't think there's one for the K mount but maybe for the Q. Sony seems not particularly interested in keeping the Minolta legacy either.