Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Out from the shadows :)

Hi all!

I have been stalking Pentax threads for a long time, and just bought my first big boy camera last week with help from many of you! Your insights have been invaluable in steering me towards the shiny, new K-30 body sitting on my desk, so thanks!

I am so excited to start using this gorgeous little machine...My sandisk 32gb extreme pro card is set to arrive tomorrow, and I am on the hunt for the perfect lens so that I can start shooting ASAP. Thinking 50mm f1.8 for some nice bokeh...

Looking forward to lots of fun time with my new gear and on this site!

03-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!

The DA50 is a very nice little puppy. Cheap, fast and pretty sharp with a pleasing bokeh. It was my first modern prime and even if I now have better ones, I find myself using it quite often.
03-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing your images.
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Welcome to the forum!

The DA50 is a very nice little puppy. Cheap, fast and pretty sharp with a pleasing bokeh. It was my first modern prime and even if I now have better ones, I find myself using it quite often.
Thanks! That's the one I have been looking at quite a bit...probably will end up getting it later today. I really like the prime lenses I've used on friends' cameras.

Hopefully I'll have some sweet photos to post before long.

03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you can now stop lurking in the corners and this maybe of interest to you.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/25...-giveaway.html
03-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you can now stop lurking in the corners and this maybe of interest to you.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/25...-giveaway.html
Thanks for the welcome!

The giveaway looks superb... I will get to snapping.

I didn't see your username at first, and was asking myself, "huh, I wonder what a Kerrowdown is..." haha
03-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, COmtnman ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #8

Welcome ^_^ i bought the 50mm 1.8 prime when i got my K-5,Its a great lens fast and is great for some macro shots although i am looking to get a macro lens soon.

Can't wait to see some shots.

03-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
Jean and KRaZiGLiTcH, thanks for the additional welcomes.

Jean, I am jealous that you are in France! It's one of my favorite countries...I go to Paris whenever the opportunity arises, and I spent a wonderful week in Nice on my last trip to Europe in 2013.

KRaZ, awesome to hear yet another positive opinion about that lens. Should have some photos in a day or two. (I definitely want a macro, too. Hopefully a birthday present in a few months. I am quickly realizing how addicting acquiring lenses can be...haha)
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by COmtnman Quote
Jean and KRaZiGLiTcH, thanks for the additional welcomes.

Jean, I am jealous that you are in France! It's one of my favorite countries...I go to Paris whenever the opportunity arises, and I spent a wonderful week in Nice on my last trip to Europe in 2013.

KRaZ, awesome to hear yet another positive opinion about that lens. Should have some photos in a day or two. (I definitely want a macro, too. Hopefully a birthday present in a few months. I am quickly realizing how addicting acquiring lenses can be...haha)
Haha yes People here call it LBA i think it means Lens Buying Addition,I need to get more lol
03-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
mee
Pentaxian

*waves*

Do you not have the 18-55mm kit lens? If not, you might find 50mm to be quite long for a walkaround focal length (unless you do portraits or the type)

I'd look at small zoom or, if you really want primes, a 35mm f/2.4 lens. It will give you a wider field of view and still affordable. Ideally, I'd get a small walkaround zoom lens and the primes for when I need the extra light (or sharpness).

If you're looking to photograph landscapes, you will want a much much wider lens.. maybe 18mm minimum.. but you've been lurking so you know how to research the site :c )
03-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
*waves*

Do you not have the 18-55mm kit lens? If not, you might find 50mm to be quite long for a walkaround focal length (unless you do portraits or the type)

I'd look at small zoom or, if you really want primes, a 35mm f/2.4 lens. It will give you a wider field of view and still affordable. Ideally, I'd get a small walkaround zoom lens and the primes for when I need the extra light (or sharpness).

If you're looking to photograph landscapes, you will want a much much wider lens.. maybe 18mm minimum.. but you've been lurking so you know how to research the site :c )
No, I bought the body by itself, because I wasn't convinced I wanted the 18-55. I knew the prime (first lens for me) would be perfect for a couple projects I am working on right now, which require portraits. I figured I would get only what I absolutely knew I wanted until I was sure which lens to get next.

Good call on the 35mm f/2.4...may need to work that into my prior thoughts on which lenses next. [Confirmed to myself that I have contracted LBA, just now...haha]

After I save up a bit, lenses 2, 3, and 4 for me will likely be:
2.) DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6
3.) DA 15mm F4 Limited
4.) Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro
and maybe if I find a duffle bag full of money...Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 and 55mm f/1.4 DA* SDM

Seem like a good list...?
03-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
Yos
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome!
Your list seems solid!
It's well planned and will cover most of your need for a long time if not LBA kicks in.

Cheers
Yos
03-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter

... Jean, I am jealous that you are in France! It's one of my favorite countries...I go to Paris whenever the opportunity arises, and I spent a wonderful week in Nice on my last trip to Europe in 2013. ...
I lived in Paris for 8 years and almost 17 total in France ... Nice can be quite "nice", J

---------- Post added 03-14-14 at 09:32 ----------

... After I save up a bit, lenses 2, 3, and 4 for me will likely be:
2.) DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6
3.) DA 15mm F4 Limited
4.) Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro ...
Just form personal experience the 100 is a great lens, but do not know about the others. Here's a quick snap using it on the K-r ... J

03-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! If your budget is tight, you can pick up a F35-70 for under $50, used. If you're patient, you can also find the DA35 & DA50 for under $125 each, used. Some good sales have popped lately for those two for around $150ish, new. So, for $300-350, you can get three inexpensive, but well regarded lenses to start off. Also, many people suggest the Tamron/Promaster/Pentax 28-105 as a general, all round lens. And it's cheap.