Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie to Advanced Photography

Hi All,

I just wanted to write a quick introduction. I bought my first DSLR a bit over two months ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It was actually a random link to pentaxforum that convinced me to buy a Pentax. I was looking for an entry level camera and saw a sale on the k500. It was an excellent price, but not necessarily cheaper than other entry level cameras. I came upon a thread about buying old lenses and using them with pentax cameras, which more or less sold me on the new camera. Investing in a DSLR is enough money, but buying decent new lenses can quickly cost a fortune. When I saw well reviewed manual lenses that were easy to use and could be bought for a few dollars, I was hooked. I've loved the camera so far, and loved the lenses even more. I started with a Pentax 50mm M 1.7, then got a Sears zoom. From there, I've acquired ten or so more lenses, and have spent about what one new lens would cost. Aside from the Pentax, getting Lightroom was the best decision I made while starting out. I just wish I could back and shoot the first month of film in raw.

03-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newton's lenses Quote
Hi All,

I just wanted to write a quick introduction. I bought my first DSLR a bit over two months ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It was actually a random link to pentaxforum that convinced me to buy a Pentax. I was looking for an entry level camera and saw a sale on the k500. It was an excellent price, but not necessarily cheaper than other entry level cameras. I came upon a thread about buying old lenses and using them with pentax cameras, which more or less sold me on the new camera. Investing in a DSLR is enough money, but buying decent new lenses can quickly cost a fortune. When I saw well reviewed manual lenses that were easy to use and could be bought for a few dollars, I was hooked. I've loved the camera so far, and loved the lenses even more. I started with a Pentax 50mm M 1.7, then got a Sears zoom. From there, I've acquired ten or so more lenses, and have spent about what one new lens would cost. Aside from the Pentax, getting Lightroom was the best decision I made while starting out. I just wish I could back and shoot the first month of film in raw.
Welcom to the forums. You'll find many information in here!

I think I am on the same boat as you. I was a finalist for a little contest in town with my Canon S100 and i started DSLR photography from that point. Bought a K-30 and a couple of lens. I also bought Lightroom because i didn't want to learn a Canon Software and a Pentax one. Here is my simple advice: go out and shoot! I bring my DSLR with me on snomobile trip, when i ride my bicicle to work, fishing, etc.

Travel light, don't bring all your gear or you will eventually leave everything at home. Try some techniques with your lens, submit in critique forum. And do the same with Lightroom: black an white, HDR, noise reduction, etc. At this point YouTube is you teacher. Have fun!
03-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aside from the Pentax, getting Lightroom was the best decision
Welcome to the forum, a good call on both counts, enjoy your photography.
03-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, newton's lenses ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

03-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, newton's lenses ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
Have a few images posted. More should be coming soon. Thanks for the warm welcome.
03-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Have a few images posted. More should be coming soon. Thanks for the warm welcome.
OK ... thanks. I will go see them, J
03-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! I'm a big fan of "backwards compatibility". I hope that Ricoh continues the legacy K mount for many years! I have amassed a collection of lenses from bygone days that, averaging out my expenditure, have cost me approximately $35 each.