Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27
Newbie to Advanced Photography

Hi All,

I just wanted to write a quick introduction. I bought my first DSLR a bit over two months ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It was actually a random link to pentaxforum that convinced me to buy a Pentax. I was looking for an entry level camera and saw a sale on the k500. It was an excellent price, but not necessarily cheaper than other entry level cameras. I came upon a thread about buying old lenses and using them with pentax cameras, which more or less sold me on the new camera. Investing in a DSLR is enough money, but buying decent new lenses can quickly cost a fortune. When I saw well reviewed manual lenses that were easy to use and could be bought for a few dollars, I was hooked. I've loved the camera so far, and loved the lenses even more. I started with a Pentax 50mm M 1.7, then got a Sears zoom. From there, I've acquired ten or so more lenses, and have spent about what one new lens would cost. Aside from the Pentax, getting Lightroom was the best decision I made while starting out. I just wish I could back and shoot the first month of film in raw.

03-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
SuperSyx's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Val-d'Or
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by newton's lenses Quote
Hi All,

I just wanted to write a quick introduction. I bought my first DSLR a bit over two months ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It was actually a random link to pentaxforum that convinced me to buy a Pentax. I was looking for an entry level camera and saw a sale on the k500. It was an excellent price, but not necessarily cheaper than other entry level cameras. I came upon a thread about buying old lenses and using them with pentax cameras, which more or less sold me on the new camera. Investing in a DSLR is enough money, but buying decent new lenses can quickly cost a fortune. When I saw well reviewed manual lenses that were easy to use and could be bought for a few dollars, I was hooked. I've loved the camera so far, and loved the lenses even more. I started with a Pentax 50mm M 1.7, then got a Sears zoom. From there, I've acquired ten or so more lenses, and have spent about what one new lens would cost. Aside from the Pentax, getting Lightroom was the best decision I made while starting out. I just wish I could back and shoot the first month of film in raw.
Welcom to the forums. You'll find many information in here!

I think I am on the same boat as you. I was a finalist for a little contest in town with my Canon S100 and i started DSLR photography from that point. Bought a K-30 and a couple of lens. I also bought Lightroom because i didn't want to learn a Canon Software and a Pentax one. Here is my simple advice: go out and shoot! I bring my DSLR with me on snomobile trip, when i ride my bicicle to work, fishing, etc.

Travel light, don't bring all your gear or you will eventually leave everything at home. Try some techniques with your lens, submit in critique forum. And do the same with Lightroom: black an white, HDR, noise reduction, etc. At this point YouTube is you teacher. Have fun!
03-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,513
QuoteOriginally posted by newton's lenses Quote
Aside from the Pentax, getting Lightroom was the best decision
Welcome to the forum, a good call on both counts, enjoy your photography.
03-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,457
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, newton's lenses ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

03-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, newton's lenses ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
Have a few images posted. More should be coming soon. Thanks for the warm welcome.
03-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,457
QuoteOriginally posted by newton's lenses Quote
Have a few images posted. More should be coming soon. Thanks for the warm welcome.
OK ... thanks. I will go see them, J
03-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
Welcome! I'm a big fan of "backwards compatibility". I hope that Ricoh continues the legacy K mount for many years! I have amassed a collection of lenses from bygone days that, averaging out my expenditure, have cost me approximately $35 each.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, cost, dslr, entry, lenses, level, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie saying Hello to you and to Photography!! Madecita Welcomes and Introductions 12 02-25-2014 07:44 AM
Newbie to photography Barthros Welcomes and Introductions 6 10-03-2013 08:22 AM
YN560III not working? (new to flash photography, newbie questions included) Haselberg Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 8 09-09-2013 11:57 AM
Newbie to photography BATMON Welcomes and Introductions 6 08-22-2013 02:30 PM
Newbie Transitioning into Photography jay wes Visitors' Center 23 04-17-2012 07:03 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top