Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

My first post - thoughts re: Q18 of interview from CP+

Hi all, this is my first post.

Q18 on FF: "Talking about the professional market, we have the 645D, which has far better image quality than full-frame. So this product can also fit the market for some professional photographers. Of course the 645D is not targeting news photographers, but can be a good partner for high-end market professionals such as fashion or studio work."

True that the 645D is absolutely stunning in quality. However the question of FF commitment is not covered very well by the response, and that's their prerogative.

I own a K-3, the great FA 31/43/77 lens etc and they make a very fine combination. Mind you, I am currently looking at the Canon 5D-III and who Ricoh/Pentax view as their target market. That the 645D has received significant attention in a new release is a very positive sign.

Some loyalty background on me: I've been a Pentax user since buying an ME Super in 1981. Pentax make awesome cameras, right now they need to advance their sensor usage. In 2004 I suffered a severe virus and lost my finger movement. What did I do once I'd recovered enough to be mobile again? Bought a Pentax Optio A30 point-and-shoot, just to get myself shooting again. Then with improved confidence I wouldn't drop the camera (yes I had a Canon G9 and G10 inbetween) bought a Pentax K-X, new challenge as DSLRs are much heavier than P&Ss and have a stack of buttons/dials. Then a K-7, K-5, K-5iis. I'm now ready to go FF!

03-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums. I found the update on CP+ 2014 interesting. The logic on FF is easy enough to follow. The 645D is a great camera for studio applications and similar, and better than FF in those situations. APS-C is physically smaller than FF and makes sense in the field - where Ricoh-Pentax see their main user group. FF is only about 10% of the market and Pentax could only hope to take a small part of that 10%. So FF is not going to be a high priority unless they can produce an absolutely killer system that will grab a large slice of the 10%.
03-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, redblur ... nice intro and we'll see soon about a FF ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
So FF is not going to be a high priority unless they can produce an absolutely killer system that will grab a large slice of the 10%.
Pentax overal marketshare of non-compact cameras is, I think, around 5% (Including Q, which is 10-ish percent of mirrirless).

Pentax doesn't need a large slice of the 10% of the market that the FF segment commands. To move their own needle they really only need 5% of the 10% (0.5% of the total market) to add 10% to their overall share (grow 5% to 5.5%). If they captured 10% of the 10% ff segment (1% of the total market) they'd add 20% to their total share (grow 5% to 6%).

03-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by redblur Quote
I'm now ready to go FF
Welcome to the forum, you and a few others await FF, but I wouldn't hold your breath just now.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
only need 5% of the 10% (0.5% of the total market) to add 10% to their overall share (grow 5% to 5.5%). If they captured 10% of the 10% ff segment (1% of the total market) they'd add 20% to their total share (grow 5% to 6%).
I'm glad you said that, it's all crystal unclear with me now... But hey, I'll admit to not being the sharpest tool in the box.

Does this all mean we're still getting a FF soon?
03-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm glad you said that, it's all crystal unclear with me now... But hey, I'll admit to not being the sharpest tool in the box. Does this all mean we're still getting a FF soon?

Imagine a Ricoh sales person in a suit and tie standing behind a small table on which there are three enormous walnut shells. Under one of them is the FF DSLR (remember - the spruiker said it was in the pipeline. The Ricoh man shuffles the walnut shells in an absolute blur, faster than the eye can follow. Then he asks you to choose one. You point to the middle shell and he turns it over. There is nothing there. "Ah," he says, with that inscrutable Ricoh management smile and politeness. "Wrong choice. Please come back next year and try again."