Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Greetings from Utah

I guess I'm a Pentax faithful - I bought a K1000 30+ years ago. Boy could that camera take pictures! (I don't take any credit, it was all the camera) I eventually introduced myself to the digital age with an Optio S - which I actually kept in an Altoids tin - it made a perfect case. When I finally convinced my wife that to take acceptable indoor pictures of our children (like at our daughter's kindergarten graduation), we would need a camera with a large enough sensor to actually detect light indoors; I purchased a K-30 for just such an endeavor.

While she was always hesistant to learn how to use the K1000 (had no interest in DOF, etc.), likely due to the lack of immediate feedback, now she is having fun playing and experimenting and seeing how powerful getting off of "Auto" can actually be. My current biggest challenge is that the kit lenses that came with the camera are far too slow to really enjoy the potential of the camera, and the 50mm prime from my K1000 is manual everything. Of course, using an older lens means the camera automatically opens the aperature all the way; which is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes for truly beautiful shots. Unfortunately, she isn't as experienced focusing manually, so many of the shots show terrific potential and DOF, but the focus point is off by 6 or 12 inches, resulting in a dissappointing shot.

Obviously, this means that my next purchase will be an AF prime lens, so she can really put this camera to good use.

03-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, gabbitas ... great intro and hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
The DA35 2.4 or 50 1.8 are very good lenses at a decent price, you can also check the marketplace here if you are OK with buying used.
Cheers!
03-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gabbitas Quote
Greetings from Utah
Welcome aboard, maybe a different focussing screen (if it can be fitted) would help with the manual glass.