Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

New K3 owner in Alaska

Hey all!

I just joined the Pentax family after weeks of comparing the K3 to the D7100. I've been shooting about 8 years with Nikon, but sold all my gear and made the switch largely due to the build quality of the K3. I'm big on hiking and the ruggedness of this brand is what sold me...not the mention the incredible line of features.

More simply, the camera just felt right when I picked it up.

I'll definitely be posting pictures I take from up here in Juneau...hopefully we'll get some good northern lights nights here soon! I bought the 35mm f2.4 with the body so now I'm looking for to complete my kit. What are people's opinions on the 10-17mm fisheye? Or would going with the 12-24 be better for my wide angle shots? Is the fisheye weather sealed (hugely important to me)? As for the tele-end, is teh 50-135 the best WR that has a decent zoom range? I'm also a reporter by day, so I like the flexibility of zooms.

That's all I got for now, any questions or requests for pictures let me know! Here's the first good star picture I got with the K3 (make a wish!).

-LF

03-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LastFrontier Quote
Here's the first good star picture I got with the K3 (make a wish!).
Welcome! I think I'll wish for a K-3.........

Do post more stars from your dark (I presume) Alaska skies. And Northen Lights too. We are many here at PF who use our Pentax gear for astrophotogrphy of all kinds.

As regards your lens questions, I suggest you post them under 'DSLR lens discussion'. In all likelihood you will get more responses there. Also, consult the Lens review pages and the DA* Lens Club. In my opinion, user experiences are as valuable as "laboratory" tests - not to speak of magazine tests.

As for zooms with WR and decent zoom range for flexibility, you may also consider the DA* 60-250. For my own part, I am happy with my more modest DA 18-135 WR - but the DA* zooms are in a league of their own.
03-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

Welcome and good choice. I made the switch from Nikon myself.

I'll be headed up the AK this fall on a trip. My brother lives in North Pole!

And I second the request for more star and northern lights pics
03-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hey all!

I just joined the Pentax family after weeks of comparing the K3 to the D7100. I've been shooting about 8 years with Nikon, but sold all my gear and made the switch largely due to the build quality of the K3. I'm big on hiking and the ruggedness of this brand is what sold me...not the mention the incredible line of features.

More simply, the camera just felt right when I picked it up.

I'll definitely be posting pictures I take from up here in Juneau...hopefully we'll get some good northern lights nights here soon! I bought the 35mm f2.4 with the body so now I'm looking for to complete my kit. What are people's opinions on the 10-17mm fisheye? Or would going with the 12-24 be better for my wide angle shots? Is the fisheye weather sealed (hugely important to me)? As for the tele-end, is teh 50-135 the best WR that has a decent zoom range? I'm also a reporter by day, so I like the flexibility of zooms.

That's all I got for now, any questions or requests for pictures let me know! Here's the first good star picture I got with the K3 (make a wish!).

-LF
Welcome to PF and something from Denali!

03-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, a great camera in a great location, I'm sitting back just waiting to be dazzled be your imagery.
03-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, LastFrontier ... hope to see some more K-3 images soon ... Salut, J
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

Original Poster
Got my first lens already

Well, the owner of the camera shop in town I bought my K3 from made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8...

Let's just say, I can't WAIT for it to be a clear night! Now I just gotta save up for the 50-135mm...or should I be looking at another lens for the tele-component? Maybe the 100mm macro? All-weather is a must at this point.

Photos coming soon, I promise!

03-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Photos coming soon, I promise!
That's good news we'll hold you to that.