Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
just a quick hello to all

Hi all my name is Tom,
I live in Ayrshire, Scotland, ( Rabbi Burns country )
I'm partially disabled i.e. heart lazy and a bad heart but I manage to get about. I repair laptops / computers.
I like landscape photography, and portrait, and sports, wildlife, anything relay

I have joined the forums to find out a bit more about Pentax cameras i.e. the K3.watched a lot of reviews on this camera
First I must state that I'm a beginner but a fast learner, the camera I have at present is a Fuji bridge cam the HS50, ( yea don't laugh)
I have had this for the past year, and used it as a learning tool.

I have watched hundreds of videos on YouTube about shutter speeds, aperture, manual mode ISO. I have learnt a lot, and still am learning.
I relay like the K3, but have been held back from purchasing because of lack of confidence on my part, ( I don't know to much about lenses but trying to learn i.e. A MOUNTS E, MOUNTS OR WHATEVER )
I think about the learning curve to be familiar with the settings and know them all is a challenge for me but hey you got to know your tools

we all got to learn, and I find the best way is to get out and keep taking photos,
so I hope I can learn something here.
Thank you for reading
Tom G

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

03-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Tom! first of all, welcome.

The K3 is a great camera, so are the K30, K50, K500, K5.... pretty much all of them For sure it will be a nice upgrade to your bridge. What's nice with DSLR is the many different mode you get, how much control you have over the pictures you take. You're new, stick to the green mode, learn how the camera chooses the settings and then move on to other modes if you wish. The K3 is full pack of features but it is also very easy to use and to learn (all pentaxes are).

For the mounts, pentax currently only have two, the K mount for the K series camera and the Q mount for the Q series (I'm not sure if the name is Q but it doesn't matter).
The K mount has been around since the 70's if I'm not mistaken and EVERY K mount lens will work on the K3. But as technology progressed, the K mount evolved to include more option (K, then Kaf, Kaf2, Kaf3), think auto aperture, then auto focus, then SDM focus... So every lens will work but you might not get all the features on it. But any modern lenses by Pentax will have auto aperture and auto focus. I could elaborate on that if you wish but you should get the point.

A mounts are for Minolta (sony) cameras, but only some of them. Some other sony will use E mount. But you don't even have to think about it since you're getting a Pentax

Again, welcome
03-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome fellow Scot, we've not quite enough here yet for a "Tartan Army".
03-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies Fgaudet and Kerrowdown.

one question Fgaudet you mention the green mode what is the green mode is this on the K3 ( or is it me that's green lol)
Thanks again

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 10:29 PM ----------

hi again just googled the green mode I understand now this is the explanation I got

THE GREEN MODE k3

(((a small green dot that's unique to Pentax DSLRs. It has two uses - firstly, when shooting in Manual mode, a single push of the green button allows you to instantly set the correct exposure for the subject, as calculated by the camera, useful if you need a starting point for your own exposure. Secondly, the K-3 offers a Hyper Program function which instantly switches to either the Shutter-Priority or Aperture-Priority mode from the Program mode, simply by turning either of the control dials on the grip. Pressing the Green button then returns to the Program mode.))))
THIS ANSWERS MY QUESTION THANKS ALL

03-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
is this on the K3 ( or is it me that's green
Never saw it this way hahaha. It's on the camera, it's a full auto mode (green icon on the mode switch), but it's very useful when you're green
03-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Tom777 ... hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
03-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good day mate and welcome to the forum

03-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Tom.

I missed your intro post and met you today in your K3 thread.
03-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you to all members for the welcome to the forums
Tom G
03-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Don't be afraid of the K3. Just buy it and start learning it by reading the manual with the camera in hand (or on the table next to you). Hope you enjoy the Forum as much as I have. Looking forward to some of your images.
03-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

Green Mode is fully automatic - the camera makes the decisions based on what it senses. It doesn't really know what you're doing, but it knows the light etc.
There are many options to let the camera make SOME of the decisions, which is a good way to start.

Personally I like TAv mode. I use it in this order: Decide what's a good aperture for the lens or activity (say f 8.0) which is set with the back wheel, then use the front wheel to set shutter speed so the ISO (light sensitivity) is in a good range - lower is usually better. That linked with center-weighted light metering usually gives me a good setup for subjects centered in the field of view.

It's a big step up to DSLR but that step doesn't have to be scary. These cameras are flexible enough for anyone to be comfortable.