Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 04:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hallo to all!

I am Nikita Podvalnyy, an amateur photographer from Moscow, Russia.

This is my first post in this community. Thank you guys for perfect reviews on Pentax optics and cameras, I read this stuff very thoroughly. I have chosen and bought my new portrait lens - SMS Takumar 85 mm - basing on the reviews on this forum, and I'm happy with this lens.

My main 35 mm camera since 2007 is Pentax SL (fully mechanical, without TTL) with Takumar 50/1.4, it still works perfectly in spite of its age. I have also a number of Pentacon lenses for 35 mm and 6X6 Kiev camera, ang going to biy Pentax 67 soon. I shoot portraits mainly.

I develop films and enlarge photos myself. Since I work in N.D. Zelinsky Institute of organic chemistry, I have an ability to make up developer formulas myself from raw chemicals those still be commercially available in Moscow. Currently my favorite combination is Agfa APX 100 in Huble glycin paste. I shoot also with color films, but unfortunately services of routine optical printing are discontinued everywhere (however, even in 2005 a number of good labs were alive), manual optical printing is quite expensive, and routine digital printing from film often compromises image quality. So I am looking also for DSLR camera with good color rendition that would be compatible with my set of lenses with m42 screw mount.

This is a picture of me photographed with my camera with Super-Takumar 50/1.4 lens.

03-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Nice pic, and I'm jealous of your access to chemicals.

There's quite a few Russians on this board.

What is the Pentax SL? Did it have a different name in the US?
03-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing more of your images.
03-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Welcome!

Nice pic, and I'm jealous of your access to chemicals.

There's quite a few Russians on this board.

What is the Pentax SL? Did it have a different name in the US?
Hi,
If I correctly understand, SL is exactly the same camera that Honeywell, and wery relative to Spotmatic (however, without an internal lightmeter).

03-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Nikita, welcome to the Forum!
It sounds like you have a great film set-up, and that's fine work on the photo you posted. Looking forward to seeing more of your B + W.
As for digital camera bodies that render anything like film, don't get me started! Here's a thread that explains my feelings;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club.html
And, as you can see, I'm not alone there.
If you read up on the CCD vs CMOS digital rendering and 'Look' overall, it's clear that this look, still not easily duplicated with PP, has many fans.
And I find it works particularly well with candids, B + W, scenes with rich, deep color tones, portraits, night exposures. Add to the mix some fine old glass with a special quality of it's own...you get the idea.
It is very limited in digital terms, because of the age, but for what you're doing it seems perfect. It works fine in M or Av mode.
I'm not sure about used prices, but $200-$300 USD sounds about right. Plus another $100 for a good focusing screen, you'll need that regardless of which DSLR you buy. A battery grip double the shooting time and actually makes hand-holding easier, for me, anyway.
This could be an ideal low-cost entry digital body for you. A good-quality M42 adaptor and there you go!
Good luck and glad to have you aboard!
Ron
03-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Nikita, welcome to the Forum!
It sounds like you have a great film set-up, and that's fine work on the photo you posted. Looking forward to seeing more of your B + W.
As for digital camera bodies that render anything like film, don't get me started! Here's a thread that explains my feelings;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club.html
And, as you can see, I'm not alone there.
If you read up on the CCD vs CMOS digital rendering and 'Look' overall, it's clear that this look, still not easily duplicated with PP, has many fans.
And I find it works particularly well with candids, B + W, scenes with rich, deep color tones, portraits, night exposures. Add to the mix some fine old glass with a special quality of it's own...you get the idea.
It is very limited in digital terms, because of the age, but for what you're doing it seems perfect. It works fine in M or Av mode.
I'm not sure about used prices, but $200-$300 USD sounds about right. Plus another $100 for a good focusing screen, you'll need that regardless of which DSLR you buy. A battery grip double the shooting time and actually makes hand-holding easier, for me, anyway.
This could be an ideal low-cost entry digital body for you. A good-quality M42 adaptor and there you go!
Good luck and glad to have you aboard!
Ron
Dear Ron,
Thank you for your kind advices concerning K10D, I have gone through the thread which you have recommended, and other will look for other reviews. The images given under your link those people make with this camera are very nice!
Nikita
03-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Nikita ... hope to see more images soon ... Salut, J
03-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your DSLR choice, you can't really go that wrong with Pentax.

03-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #9

A big hello to fellow countryman from Russia.