Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Climbing Back into Photography, 1st DSLR

Just joined, mostly prompted by my new purchase --- yeah, I know they're discontinued, but the K-30 won my heart for my 1st digital. Haven't used anything but a couple of Canon point-n-shoots for the past 10 years or so, last SLR was a K-1000. I chose the kit with the 18-55 WR, mostly want to work on outdoor/hiking/vista shots, but eventually would like to capture some real wildlife with future lens buys. I've been surfing this forum a few times and look forward to getting back into the sport ... now, if I could only remember ANY of those basics so I can turn the dial to something past Auto ... jeez, the technology is completely overwhelming right now.

03-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
03-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!!!

There is absolutely no need to apologize about acquiring a just discontinued model. This is one of the best buying strategies around, because when it was discontinued - the price was $ubstantially reduced. The K30 was replaced with the K50 and the only difference was a slight style change in the body. It also has 99% of the capabilities of the K5/K5II, as it uses the same sensor. It is going to be very difficult to out grow the K30.

If you are within about 90 days of purchase, for $20 you can extend the 1 year warranty to 3 years on the body (which comes with a free cleaning).Also, not to overload you, but Microsoft ICE lets you stitch panorama shots together - by the way, it is a free download and very easy to use.
03-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Back!

Hello Papabear7, welcome to the Forum!
Lots of folks join after a long photo-hiatus, many with a 35mm film background. The controls have changed somewhat but the basics are the same;
You control the exposure with aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Everything else is details, and digital offers more technology, more ways to modify the result (or, some say, ruin it), but a correctly-exposed capture is always the best start.
Here's a refresher on the primary camera controls
Getting Started With Photography | Beyond Megapixels Click on " Going Manual; Learning Exposure Basics".
Remember, now aperture and shutter are controlled with the front and rear thumb dials, and ISO is usually selectable on one dial with an additional 'push' on the ISO button. Again, pretty simple, once it's learned.
Take lots of photos, download a free online processing app and learn to use it. Post some photos soon, too!
Ron

03-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There is absolutely no need to apologize about acquiring a just discontinued model. This is one of the best buying strategies around, because when it was discontinued - the price was $ubstantially reduced. The K30 was replaced with the K50 and the only difference was a slight style change in the body. It also has 99% of the capabilities of the K5/K5II, as it uses the same sensor. It is going to be very difficult to out grow the K30.
Thanks for the reassurance, I was down to possibly going K-5ii, but I just couldn't justify the extra bux for the apparent marginal differences. My own eye will make bigger mistakes than either camera can undo !?!? I'm anxious to check out this ICE link; didn't even think about free production software, only familiar with MS Photo editor which is not even in same league, I'm sure; I've never really worked with RAW and other higher-level stuff. Thanks for the tips,

QuoteQuote:
Lots of folks join after a long photo-hiatus, many with a 35mm film background. The controls have changed somewhat but the basics are the same;
You control the exposure with aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Everything else is details, and digital offers more technology, more ways to modify the result (or, some say, ruin it), but a correctly-exposed capture is always the best start.
Here's a refresher on the primary camera controls
Getting Started With Photography | Beyond Megapixels Click on " Going Manual; Learning Exposure Basics".
Probably loads of folks like me who didn't take the film-to-digital cost train in the beginning, and now, can finally afford it. Thanks for this point in the right direction--I much need to go read some 'do first, then second, then third' logic for composing, and THEN whether I tinker with the 3,000+ settings on this ridiculous thing!! I feel like I've always had a decent eye, just never really worked on taking it into a stronger 'sr. amateur/jr. pro' level. I look forward to some nice days coming this spring and will get some shots up asap ... thanks to all for the warm welcomes.
03-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, digital photography it's like the old film days, but with instant results without Polaroid's.
03-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, digital photography it's like the old film days, but with instant results without Polaroid's.

The new Polaroid Socialmatic.

A interesting, yet old, twist of the Camera coming out in Fall of 2014......

03-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
The new Polaroid Socialmatic.
Aye right enough, thanks for the link, I wonder if it will catch on?
03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye right enough, thanks for the link, I wonder if it will catch on?
I might buy one.......
03-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Papabear7 ... hope to see a K-30 image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Papabear7 Quote
Thanks for the reassurance, I was down to possibly going K-5ii, but I just couldn't justify the extra bux for the apparent marginal differences. My own eye will make bigger mistakes than either camera can undo !?!? I'm anxious to check out this ICE link; didn't even think about free production software, only familiar with MS Photo editor which is not even in same league, I'm sure; I've never really worked with RAW and other higher-level stuff. Thanks for the tips,

Probably loads of folks like me who didn't take the film-to-digital cost train in the beginning, and now, can finally afford it. Thanks for this point in the right direction--I much need to go read some 'do first, then second, then third' logic for composing, and THEN whether I tinker with the 3,000+ settings on this ridiculous thing!! I feel like I've always had a decent eye, just never really worked on taking it into a stronger 'sr. amateur/jr. pro' level. I look forward to some nice days coming this spring and will get some shots up asap ... thanks to all for the warm welcomes.
Welcome Papabear! in Columbia MO here...just down the road from ya.

As previously stated, sometimes buying the previous generation camera body is better than not. I bought my K-5 just months before the K5ii was released. Even though camera technology continues to progress, its starting to slow down just a little bit - as evidenced by the more common reuse of imaging sensors. The 16MP sensor in the K-30 is the same one in all of the K-5 models, and is really a top notch sensor. It should do you for many years! Besides, if extra investments are to me made...put it into lenses. With DLSR photography, youll replace/upgrade/change out your bodies far faster and more frequently than your lenses. You could spend $1000 on a body, and it will be worth 1/4 of that and worthy of an upgrade in 5 years, or you could spend $1000 on a lens, to find out its not lost a dime in value (sometimes actually being worth more) and will STILL mount on any new body you purchase.

And as far as learning about your new toy...this is the place for it. Shoot pics, post them, and youll get more advice and help from the friendly folks on this forum than you could imagine!