Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
beginner to photography

hi everyone ,i,m very new to all this ,not just the photography but also leaving posts and all that stuff.i,m 63 years old and have just bought my first dslr camera a k50. all the jargon you all use is new to me and a little confusing but i,m beginning to get "the picture"...i have taken a few pics using a trial and error method . i particularly like the great outdoors and am looking forward to the better weather .any advice on the way to approach photography would be greatly appreciated.

03-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A warm welcome from my side!

As advice goes, I can only give a few:
- shoot, shoot, shoot... you will only gather experience by just shooting a lot :-) and since that's the fun part anyway, that should be a given
- feel free to ask any questions on this forum! I found the members to be very helpful and the community consists of both beginners (like myself) and lots of professionals

Last but not least: we are looking forward to seeing some shots from you!

Have a great day,
René
03-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
thankyou Rene`, as soon as i have some worth sharing i will post them
03-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to both the forum and photography, enjoy them both cos that's what it's all about.

03-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums. Age is no handicap and you will soon learn which jargon is useful and which you really don't need to master. Just keep taking pics of the great outdoors and posting them here. You will get lots of helpful suggestions if you ask for advice.
03-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, theman123 ... hope to see a K-50 image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
Are you new to photography in general or just the DSLR technology? There are ways to use the DSLR more like an older film camera which might be useful.
03-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum

Welcome, great to have you with us on the Forum. My two cents: Learn the camera's capabilities and practice composition. To learn the camera's capabilities, my own approach is to systematically read through the manual with camera in hand, identifying each button, etc., and reading how it works. Do not try to eat the entire elephant in one sitting. Just read a few pages, and then use the camera to get practice with your new knowledge, then go on to the next section of the manual.

A second tip is to go manual from the beginning. That means to set the dial on M instead of green. With the mode dial on M, you have three variables to contend with: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO setting. Learn how to set ISO at its lowest setting, generally 100 or 200. Go outside and set aperture on 8 and shutter speed on 1/125. Take a picture with those settings. If the photo is too dark, you can lower the shutter speed, or if it is too light, you can increase the shutter speed. Alternatively, you can leave the shutter speed alone and alter the aperture up or down to increase or decrease the darkness of the photo, but using this approach you will also change how much of the picture is in focus (depth of field). As a third alternative, if the photo is too dark, you can increase the ISO setting from its lowest (100 or 200) to a higher number, going up in increments of 100 on most cameras. This is a good way to learn the camera's capabilities and sensitivities to different light conditions. With a great deal of experience, you will likely be able to make specific manual camera settings that are very close to what you want to achieve. Others may disagree, but I think it is great to start learning with one base level group of settings as I have described. Then you can mentally adjust up and down for lighter or darker conditions. Remember, photography can be thought of as "painting with light," and you will need to become very conscious of the light conditions in each photographic situation.

One further piece of advice is to just pick one lens to work with in the beginning. If you have the 18-55 starter zoom lens, you have dozens of different focal lengths at your disposal. Not everyone would agree, but I suggest picking just one focal length and sticking with that for at least a few weeks, and then stepping up or down.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I am just thinking how I learned and trying to share it. I am giving you a tree photo from my backyard as a welcome gift to the forum, and for reading my verbose suggestions!

Best of luck to you as you enter into a truly fascinating hobby!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
03-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
thankyou for your advice, i,l have a go and if i get some good shots i,l post them for you to see.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 01:11 PM ----------

brand new to this , only ever had a point and shoot before

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 01:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums. Age is no handicap and you will soon learn which jargon is useful and which you really don't need to master. Just keep taking pics of the great outdoors and posting them here. You will get lots of helpful suggestions if you ask for advice.
thankyou

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, theman123 ... hope to see a K-50 image or two soon ... Salut, J
thankyou

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 01:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
thankyou