Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Hello from Scotland

I've posted this in a reply to a thread in the Compact forum, but just saying hello to everybody here. Many thanks.

Pentax MX-1

I've had this compact for a week now and I'm now quite happy with it. I used a 2gb Sandisk Extreme III as I had a spare lying around and I had a lot of the "Data Being Recorded" messages on screen when I wanted to be able to change camera settings between shots. Inserted an 8gb Sandisk Extreme Pro and all issues seem to be gone. This was shooting jpeg. Raw is much less of a burden as well as in no writing messages, but you'll see it if trying to view images as their being written.

The quality of the build is very good - my current camera is a Nikon D80 and the little (!) MX-1 is able to hold its own in a quality showdown. Actual images are not that bad either.

Coming from a DSLR and a reasonably fast lens (35mm f2) I realise the MX-1 is a little slow in every respect, but I'm getting to know it a bit better now and I think I'll be keeping it. I mainly bought it as a pocketable holiday camera as I'm fed up carting the Nikon about - of course the discounted price here in the UK was another reason, but the vintage styling was the main one. I was going to get a refurbished Fuji X10 or an X20, but thought the image quality comparisons on dpreview were compelling enough to bag an MX-1. I've already got the X100 lens cap (much better) and have a lovely leather Footprint wrist strap on order.

Here's a shot tonight, long end of the zoom, ISO800, hand held (and after a few pints!). Only thing done was a bit of colour correction in iPhoto.

No doubt in my mind that this is a quality camera and it's becoming more affordable by the week.

Cat is called Sparky!

cheers

D.

03-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing more of your images.
03-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, deksawyer ... hope to see another image or two soon ... Salut, J
03-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

03-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deksawyer Quote
Hello from Scotland
Welcome aboard, there's a few of us here now.