Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Greetings, from not quite a canadian ...

Hello, I'm originally from Indonesia but am currently living in New Brunswick, Canada. My first slr was a second hand nikon fm2 but I had to hang it after the asian crisis made the cost of developing film rocketed. It's gone now.

Then I came to Canada, was handed down a P3 with smcp 50 A f2, sakar 70-300, and image 80-210 from my wife's relative. I only use the standard lens and am loving it although I heard that it's mediocre.

That being said, I consider myself pretty much new in photography but am planning to make some money by selling stock pictures online (istock, etc..). I decided to rely on Pentax line which (based on my google research) offers more backward compatibility, relatively cheaper equipment and sometimes better quality.

My budget is pretty tight. I ordered a used ist-D from KEH, and am now saving to buy a zoom lens (16-45 DA) very soon. If you think I'm making a wrong move with the lens choice, please warn me. I love to learn more about Pentax and I hope that this forum can help me in my new endeavour in photography

Last edited by brainanta; 01-23-2007 at 10:16 PM.
01-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of good information here and some friendly people. I'll be interested to hear how you do selling your stock pictures, and look foward to seeing your pictures here on the forum.
01-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Welcome!

How's the weather? Hmmmm....Indonesia to Canada? Was that a shock to your system?

Glad you're here, Dan
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Brainata

Welcome! Just curious - what types of pictures are you planning to take? Low-light, landscape, people? It might help us make a better recommendation for your choice in lens.

Don't get me wrong - the 16-45 is a lens I would like to upgrade to later on.

01-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi everyone, thanks for your welcoming words, I'm really glad to be here. My first name, by the way, is Data (it's true).

Anyway, I just got my ist-d today (my first dslr and right away mounted with my beloved smcpa 50/2) and it is just beautiful - I think Pentax's dslr design is the best ! (compared to other brands I saw in future shop)

Carol, I have yet submitted any picture to the stock agency. I can't wait to post some pictures here as soon as I get my ist d in action.

The weather here is nasty Dan, but sometimes fun. I don't mind ice, but cold wind...brrr....Coming from where I'm from, I found it extraordinary that you risk of being frozen from taking picture outdoor. I wonder if my ist-d can stand subzero environment, the manual doesn't say so though.

Hi Alvin, I'll probably do some still life and portraits (babies, close up, body parts, scene) indoor but with some simple lighting setup (need to learn more about that) in the next couple of months. To me, it's still too cold for landscape or nature photography. I decided to use my budget for DA 16-45 to buy a cheaper lens which I just bought on ebay yesterday, FA 28-70/4 AL for total (s&h included) 99 USD. Based on my web research, it seems to be regarded quite highly both in terms of price and decency in quality.I just hope that it's sharp enough for my ist-d as the agency seems to be so strict on sharpness and low noise pics.

Cheers.

Data
01-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brainanta Quote
The weather here is nasty Dan, but sometimes fun. I don't mind ice, but cold wind...brrr....Coming from where I'm from, I found it extraordinary that you risk of being frozen from taking picture outdoor. I wonder if my ist-d can stand subzero environment, the manual doesn't say so though.
You'll be surprised what temperatures these things will be able to operate in. I brought my K100D out in some negative "I don't know - just cold" weather for a little over 2 1/2 hours with no problems. Watch your batteries - NiMH batteries don't like this weather as much.

QuoteQuote:
I decided to use my budget for DA 16-45 to buy a cheaper lens which I just bought on ebay yesterday, FA 28-70/4 AL for total (s&h included) 99 USD. Based on my web research, it seems to be regarded quite highly both in terms of price and decency in quality.I just hope that it's sharp enough for my ist-d as the agency seems to be so strict on sharpness and low noise pics.
Seems like you put a lot of thought into this. I know you will like your purchase. What sort of lighting have you got?
02-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
You're right Alvin, it can perform well in subzero temperature, I was the one that can't stand being out in the cold for long

I'm still researching and considering about lighting setup, after toying around with worklights I now tend to favour off camera flash (preferably old and used one) along strobist's suggestion. But I still feel uninformed and haven't made any purchase yet. I will probably post this question on the lighting forum later.