Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I'm considering a Digital SLR however, I have a couple questions about my 35mm Pentax lenses. I've heard the Pentax Digital SLR'S will accept the old bayonet lenses but don't know anything further. I still shoot 35mm film but was wondering if it's feasible to use the old lenses and what I can expect in performance. Thank you ..

03-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Legacy

Hello Pottercountry, welcome to the Forum!
Yes, virtually all K-mount and m42 (with an adaptor) lenses ever made, will work on modern Pentax DSLR's. This includes K-mount lenses from 3rd-party makers like Vivitar, Sigma, Tamron, etc.
Generally, they retain whatever functions they had originally. If they were manual-focus, auto aperture when new, same thing on digital. But now you'll have focus confirmation and other helpful tools on the new cameras.
I commonly take a DSLR body and an MX film body to larger events, and switch the Legacy lenses between them. The modern lenses (made for digital) don't all work on the film bodies, they're lacking an aperture ring (it's electronic now) and the secondary manual-focus ring isn't nearly as smooth as old M/F lenses.
While lens coatings and modern design have improved lens quality overall, there's still many fine Legacy lenses available. Some have a special rendering, image quality or 'Pixie Dust' that is difficult to duplicate with new glass.
Best of luck with your DSLR!
Ron
03-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your images. As you'll see in the 'Lens Clubs' there are a lot of folks loving their 'old' lenses.
03-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to the PF community, Pottercounty ... looks like Ron has addressed your questions. Do not be shy to ask more and hope to see an image soon ... Salut, J

03-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Pottercountry, welcome to the Forum!
Yes, virtually all K-mount and m42 (with an adaptor) lenses ever made, will work on modern Pentax DSLR's. This includes K-mount lenses from 3rd-party makers like Vivitar, Sigma, Tamron, etc.
Generally, they retain whatever functions they had originally. If they were manual-focus, auto aperture when new, same thing on digital. But now you'll have focus confirmation and other helpful tools on the new cameras.
I commonly take a DSLR body and an MX film body to larger events, and switch the Legacy lenses between them. The modern lenses (made for digital) don't all work on the film bodies, they're lacking an aperture ring (it's electronic now) and the secondary manual-focus ring isn't nearly as smooth as old M/F lenses.
While lens coatings and modern design have improved lens quality overall, there's still many fine Legacy lenses available. Some have a special rendering, image quality or 'Pixie Dust' that is difficult to duplicate with new glass.
Best of luck with your DSLR!
Ron
Thanks Ron I'll keep all you've told me in mind...
03-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, let us know how you get on once you've bought it.