Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hello from Warsaw and, first question.

Hi Guys, itís my first message here but I have already first question.
Are here any fans of aviation?
I recently bought Pentax F 100-300 which I bought with one purpose in mind, to take photos of planes. I know it is old and cheap stuff but it is unbelievably soft even at aperture around 22 and FL below 200mm, while my Pentax F 80-200 is really sharper at any FL and any aperature.

I read reviews here but I wasnít expecting it to be soooo soft.
So the question is..

Are there any cheap and relatively good (to 300$) zooms with max FL higher than 200mm good to take photos of airplanes?
And, Is DA / DAL 55-300 sharp at 300mm?

It was in fact three questions

03-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it may pay you to ask those questions in the Lens Forums section of the site which should give you the answers you're looking for.
03-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing those aviation shots. There are some aviation fans here in the "post your shots of the airplanes.", I don't know about the F/FA series lenses but the Super Takumar 300 f/4 is pretty sharp if you don't mind MF and they're pretty inexpensive.
03-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing those aviation shots. There are some aviation fans here in the "post your shots of the airplanes.", I don't know about the F/FA series lenses but the Super Takumar 300 f/4 is pretty sharp if you don't mind MF and they're pretty inexpensive.
Thanks for reply Guys, I will post my pics for sure.

At the moment I am considering purchase of Sigma 75-300mm
Sigma 75-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
which I have just found on Allegro (Polish equivalent of eBay) from its reviews it seems to be quite sharp.

03-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, sewerynthegreat ... hope to see an image soon ... Salut, J
03-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sewerynthegreat Quote
Are here any fans of aviation?
Welcome, aye there's a few folk here into that, but a lot more with birds in flight... does that count?
03-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The 55-300 isn't super sharp like a DA300. But it's pretty good. Have a look at my Flickr site - most images on the river are with the 55-300. It seems best around f8 or just below.

I haven't been to an airshow for a little while, so many here in the US have been disappointing in the past few years. The 55-300 is my longest zoom so it's what I use for those.
04-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, aye there's a few folk here into that, but a lot more with birds in flight... does that count?
Frankly I believe that taking photos of birds in flight is way more difficult, so yes I believe it does count

---------- Post added 04-04-14 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The 55-300 isn't super sharp like a DA300. But it's pretty good. Have a look at my Flickr site - most images on the river are with the 55-300. It seems best around f8 or just below.

I haven't been to an airshow for a little while, so many here in the US have been disappointing in the past few years. The 55-300 is my longest zoom so it's what I use for those.
I bought Sigma 75-300mm I have mentioned earlier and it is indeed sharper then Pentax F 100-300. To get best results I need to go to F11 and below but it works quite well. I paid 80$ and I canít complain. Unfortunately I donít know how it compares to 55-300 cause I newer owned one
in may I will go to local Air Show at Minsk Mazowiecki near Warsaw, and I plan to test my new lens there I will let you all know how it went.